Quotes to note: Football, Faculty and Physics

“To win a tight one at home against Brigham Young when we were behind and then come out here and do really well in this game that we lost last year – that’s two statements of improvement.”
— Mack Brown about Saturday’s game against UCLA in Los Angeles, according to The Daily Texan. The Longhorns beat the Bruins 49-20, avenging the team’s loss last year at home that sent Texas into a losing spiral.

“This will provide great exposure for our football program and our university.”
— Lynn Hickey, head athletic director of UT-San Antonio, in a statement last week. UTSA’s football program and The Longhorn Network are both in their inaugural years of existence, and are hoping to expand their reach across Texas.

“We are not producing widgets here. We are producing minds, shaping minds.”
— Assistant history professor Anne Martinez expressing concerns about the University’s focus on efficiency at the expense of education, according to The Daily Texan.

“I know tuition increases are hard for families, but look at what’s going on around the country. Some states have 10 percent increases. We have been planning for this for three years, and we will keep the increase modest.”
— Gregory Fenves, dean of the engineering school, advocating for a tuition increase to offset budget cuts, according to The Daily Texan.

“Physics is a true canary in the mine, so to speak, of judging America’s capabilities in terms of science. … If you let physics go, it’s symptomatic of the fact that something has eroded in the intellectual capacity of academic institutions.”
— Carlos Handy, physicist and chair of Texas Southern University’s physics department, on a recent proposal by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to cut programs at state colleges and universities that graduate fewer than 25 students over a five year period, according to The Texas Tribune.

“The value of a degree is worth a good bit more than a million dollars. The value of a college degree is truth and beauty and depth and purpose and hope and meaning and connection and sustenance and possibility.”
— Gordon Gee, president of Ohio State University, in a lecture at Texas A&M on Thursday, according to The Battalion. Gee spoke at A&M’s Commitment to Excellence Dialogues, which explored issues relating to a university’s responsibility to the community.