Fun Fun Fun: Day 1

Chaos, booty-shaking and, most importantly, great live music.

Fun Fun Fun Fest’s first day foreshadowed the fun that would occur throughout the weekend. Day one was a strange concoction of hyped-up performances, stage dives and rockstar tantrums (kudos to you Glenn Danzig). But throughout all of the chaos were great, unforgettable moments. For example, Freddie Ross, better known as Big Freedia, and his rambunctious crew of booty-shaking, hyped-up women were amusing in every way possible. Between having seizure-like dance competitions and bringing a group of enthusiastic, aspiring dancers on stage, Freedia and his posse had everybody working their rumpshakers. And hip-hop’s dynamic duo, Public Enemy, has still got it. Backed by a live band, the group went through classics “Fight the Power,” “911 is a Joke” and many others. Hypeman Flavor Flav has exchanged his reality TV spotlight for his trademark giant clock and quotes, and we would not have it any other way.

Passion Pit had plenty of surprises for their fans as they took the stage: classics “Sleepyhead” and “Folds in Your Hands” oozed with bubbly synths and frontman Michael Angelakos’ near-flawless falsetto, and their encore featured two new songs that were well-received from their legion of dedicated electropop fans. And for those of you who did not hear about it, Glenn Danzig may have lost his Austin pass for life. The renowned king of bluesy, sludge metal gave his fans a performance (or lack there of) that they will always remember. Consisting of outbursts, tawdriness and a desire to incite a riot during his performance, Danzig’s set was nothing we thought it would be and, unfortunately, more.