Winter Arts Preview: Music

Editor's note: The following tracks contain explicit lyrics

Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa, Mac & Devin Go to High School
Released Dec. 13

Hip-hop veteran Snoop Dogg and rising rap superstar Wiz Khalifa will be releasing a collaborative soundtrack to their upcoming film “Mac & Devin Go to High School.” The album, which features the Bruno Mars-assisted single, “Young, Wild & Free,” will also include guest appearances from Jet Life rapper Curren$y and Taylor Gang Records’ very own Juicy J. Similar to Method Man and Redman’s collaborative soundtrack for their 2001 film “How High,” Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa’s soundtrack will feature poppy, upbeat sounds, high school-based narratives and an array of marijuana references from two of hip-hop’s weed connoisseurs. — Eli Watson

Snoop Dogg & Whiz Khalifa — Mac & Devin Go to High School

Common, The Dreamer/The Believer
Available Dec. 20

Although Kanye West’s gorgeous My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy may still cast a long shadow over music and Drake’s Take Care may take all the accolades this year with his own introspective lyrics and meticulous production, Common trailblazed the original path as the thinking man’s rapper. He combined the political with the personal, the warmth with the hard reality. After his turgid attempt to full mainstream pop on his last album, his newest album reunites him with No I.D., who produced Common’s earlier works and contributed to West’s last album. With the catchy second single “Blue Sky,” Common has a bit more positivity about the world around him. — Chris Nguyen

Common — Blue Sky

The Internet, Naked Purple Ladies
Available Dec. 20

Of all the breakout act releases of 2012, The Internet’s Naked Purple Ladies has the chance to have the most substantial impact on music. The group is on the forefront of the new, more accessible movement in R&B with the likes of fellow Odd Future member Frank Ocean and The Weeknd. The Internet is comprised of slightly lesser known Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All members Syd The Kid and Matt Martian. The group has already released two peculiar tracks, “Love Song” and “Cocaine.” The duo has released a video for the latter which resembles more of a low level acid trip than a coke tweak. The tracks simultaneously show promise and reason for concern as Syd’s strange but calming voice almost hits a dissonant tri-tone against Martian’s compelling, warped jazz beats. — Ali Breland

Cocaine — The Internet
Note: From their first, titular EP

Porcelain Raft, Strange Weekend
Available Jan. 24

After the Gone Blind EP and roughly 20 singles released as Porcelain Raft, Mauro Remiddi will debut his 10-track LP. Recently signed under Secretly Canadian, the same label as Nite Jewel, Jens Lekman and Yeasayer, the one-man-band has so far leaked a track on his Facebook page, “Put Me to Sleep.” The song provides listeners a quick glimpse of what they can expect from his full-length debut: a soothing melody and echoing waves of synthesizer diffusion. However, the lyrics are punctuated with irony because Remiddi, as the title indicates, asking the listener to put him to sleep. It will be interesting to see whether the album, recorded in a basement in Brooklyn, will display cohesion, since Mauro is a fan of releasing disassociated segments of music. — Elizabeth Hinojos

Put

Emeli Sandé, Our Version of Events
Available Feb. 6

Scottish R&B songwriter Emeli Sandé’s debut album will shine a light on the dark side of pop. Sandé has written songs for Leona Lewis and Susan Boyle, and opened for Chris Martin, but this album marks her crossover as a recording artist. Her first single, “Daddy,” already unveils two things she will be known for — outstanding vocals and a talent for singing subject matter tainted with heartbreak. Sandé extraordinarily marries cold lyrics with a voice that radiates warmth. Our Version of Events is sure to be the hauntingly relatable breakup playlist that will steal playtime even on a happy day.

Emeli Sandé — Daddy ft. Naughty Boy