Boho chic comfort, rock ‘n’ roll accessories key to stylish looks

2012-03-07-SXSW_FAshion_ThomasAllison2
Thomas Allison

South By Southwest is almost here. You’ve RSVP’d to all the concerts you want to attend, scoped out the best route to get from one panel to another and decided which films you are dying to see. But have you decided what you are going to wear?

According to Feathers Boutique manager Mallory Hublein, the look to have during the festival is boho chic mixed with rock ‘n’ roll.

“Definitely lots of leather and suede, cutoff denim, super soft tees and tops, mixed with amazing accessories,” Hublein said. “Since people come in from all over the world, there is definitely a fun eclectic mix of ‘anything goes.’”

It is important to keep in mind that SXSW entails a lot of walking. Comfortable footwear is a must, but that doesn’t mean you can throw on those awful Crocs or Chacos. You can look cute and still avoid blisters by wearing TOMS, oxfords or any other basic flat.

Journalism senior Kayla Klepac is a seasoned SXSW attendee. She will be going to a lot of the festival’s free concerts as well as Style X, a trade show affiliated with the festival. And of course, she will be sporting fashionable trends while doing it all.

“The official accessory of SXSW is [Ray Ban] Wayfarer sunglasses,” Klepac said. “The look is rock ‘n’ roll and not too fussy. You want to look like you just rolled out of a tour bus in a good way.”

High-waisted denim shorts and bandeau tops are an option for those more willing to show off some skin. If you want to keep it light but stay a bit more covered, summery dresses and ankle boots are a good look to consider.

Klepac also suggests keeping the weather in mind. Texas spring weather can be unpredictable, and you don’t want to be the one that dressed in rain boots on a sunny day.

“Breezy, mid-length skirts are very on-trend and comfortable for hot weather. It may be hot, but I keep a jacket in my car or backpack for when it gets chilly at night,” Klepac said. “A couple years ago, I shivered through a miserable Auditorium Shores show at what I deemed ‘North By North Pole.’”

And it’s not just the ladies who will be thinking about fashion next week. SXSW style also applies to the men. Austin native Roger Gonzalez plans to abide by the rule that less is more.

“I just plan on wearing stunner shades and a smile,” Gonzalez said. “It’s going to be hot, so I’m wearing as little as possible.”

According to Austin’s KVUE news network, the weather for SXSW is going to change dramatically. This weekend, there is a 60 percent chance of rain with temperatures in the upper 50s while the next week should be sunny with temperatures in the upper 70s.

So, be prepared. Fill your backpack with a small umbrella and rain jacket just in case.

The key to successfully conquering the fashion side of SXSW is being comfortable and wearing what you love. Go to your closet and pick out your favorite items. Maybe you don’t want to wear the denim shorts, bandeau tops and stunner shades. That’s ok. Be yourself and have fun running from event to event because the week will be over and done before you know it.