Volleyball to take on Texas State in third game of spring

Texas has had most of this semester to rest up, but it’s time to get back into the swing of things for the Longhorns.

Texas will host Texas State in the fourth game of its spring schedule. Texas already faced Houston and Wichita State, playing relatively well in each series. They took two of three sets from Rice (21-25, 25-14 and 15-13) before playing Wichita State in a two-game set. Texas won the first game (25-22 and 26-24) and split the next match (18-25 and 25-22). Now, the Longhorns will face a familiar foe. The Bobcats and Longhorns clashed in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Then No. 1 seed Texas defeated Texas State handily, 3-0.

Given the shortened training time, Texas coach Jerritt Elliott was happy with Texas’ effort in its first two games of the spring, especially since he is experimenting with new rotations.

“We were pleased with the effort our team put forward with only five days of team training,” Elliot said. “This first tournament gave us the opportunity to play Bailey [Webster] and Haley [Eckerman] in all six rotations and work some of our new systems with Hannah Allison.”

Texas State went 27-8 in the fall, and they are formidable competition for the Longhorns, who bowed out of the NCAA Regional round in 2011. The game, which will be held at Gregory Gym, will help Texas gauge where it’s new set of talent is capable of playing and how to tune them up in time for fall.  

Printed on Friday, April 13, 2012 as: Horns meet Bobcats for first time since NCAA tourney