Fantasy Football: Who to start and who to sit for Week 2

Deangelo Williams AP
The Associated Press

Deangelo Williams had 100 yards from scrimmage against a very strong Seahawks defense last week. He is running well, and will be a low-end RB2 or strong flex option at least until Jonathan Stewart returns.

Start:

DeAngelo Williams:

Williams had 100 yards from scrimmage against a very strong Seahawks defense last week. He is running well, and will be a low-end RB2 or strong flex option, at least until Jonathan Stewart returns.

Miles Austin:

Dez Bryant will improve. I have no doubts about this; but that doesn’t mean that Miles Austin won’t also play a large role in the Cowboy’s offense moving forward. In Week One, Romo seemed to only have eyes for Jason Witten and Austin, so I would plan on starting both of them until further notice.

Torrey Smith:

The Ravens were very thin at receiver coming into this season – then Jacoby Jones got injured on a fluke play in week one. Someone needs to catch balls in this offense, and even if Smith is doubled on a large portion of snaps, he should get 8-10 targets per game until a more viable number two receiver can be found.  

Maurice Jones-Drew:

Maurice Jones-Drew was one of several star running backs to flop in Week One, but this wasn’t at all his fault. An impotent passing attack, led by Blaine Gabbert, led to the Jaguars posting only two points against a surprisingly solid Kansas City Chiefs team. This week, Gabbert will be replaced by Chad Henne due to a laceration on Gabbert’s hand, against a perennially weak Oakland Raiders. Expect the offense to improve greatly, and Jones-Drew to have a strong stat-line.

Sit:

Daryl Richardson:

Richardson was good, not great, in Week One against Arizona. The Rams play against a very strong Falcons defense this week, and Isaiah Pead returns from suspension. I don’t expect Pead to make an impact immediately, but expect him to take some touches from Richardson, making Richardson all but a possible flex option in a deep league.

Cecil Shorts:

Chad Henne will replace Blaine Gabbert at quarterback this week, and the Jaguars offense will improve from their abysmal Week One performance. But this offense is still one of the weakest in the league, and I’m still not sold on Shorts’ physical abilities. Leave him on the bench until he has a breakout week.

Joique Bell:

Despite Bell’s phenomenal Week One stat-line – especially for a back-up – he is unlikely to have a repeat performance. Don’t buy the hype. Reggie Bush is the feature back in this offense, and unless he goes down with an injury, leave Bell on your bench, because Jim Schwartz will be doing the same.