Women’s basketball to play New Mexico

2014-11-30_Basketball_vs_Tennessee_Ethan
Ethan Oblak

The fourth-ranked Longhorns women’s basketball team will continue its six-game home stand at the Frank Erwin Center on Wednesday at 7 p.m. against New Mexico.  

Texas, now 5-0, ended a five-game losing skid against Tennessee with its win over the Lady Volunteers on Sunday.

The Longhorns had four players score in double digits, including senior forward Nneka Enemkpali, who scored 17 points for Texas. Freshman guard Ariel Atkins scored 12 and sophomore guard Brianna Taylor followed with 11.  

For Enemkpali, there was only one more chance to break the losing streak against Tennessee.  

“It feels amazing,” Enemkpali said. “We have to stay humble and remember this is just the beginning.”

Texas led 30-20 at halftime. Sophomore center Kelsey Lang scored an impressive 18 points and Texas continued its blazing start with a 72-59 win.

“I have gained so much confidence because they have confidence in me,” Lang said. “I couldn’t do what I do without my teammates giving me the kinds of passes that they have been giving me.” 

Texas claimed its second consecutive Phillips 66 Big 12 honor this week when Lang was named Phillips 66 Big 12 Player of the Week, one week after Enemkpali was given the same title.

Head coach Karen Aston believes her players’ efforts are paying off, allowing a special era of basketball to unfold at Texas this season.

Texas has beaten two top-10 teams, including Stanford, in just five games this season.

Texas moved up two spots to No. 4 in the Associated Press Top 25 on Monday. It is the Longhorns’ highest ranking in both polls since December 2008 (No. 4/4) after starting the season 11-0.

An injury report confirms junior center Imani McGee-Stafford is not cleared to participate Wednesday because of a leg injury. 

Texas will put its win streak on the line against the 1-5 Lobos.