Associate managing editor: The Daily Texan gave me a home at UT

2014-12-02_30_Reeana_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

Years later, when I look back at my time at The Daily Texan, there are several things I won’t remember. I won’t remember all the times we missed scriptset — there are probably too many to count. I won’t remember all the commas I added that, in my opinion, made each story worlds clearer. And I certainly won’t remember all the times I relied on my own knowledge rather than the AP Stylebook and caused the Texan a lot of grief. 

I won’t remember these things because they didn’t really matter; what mattered, and what I’ll remember, are the times I spent with some of the greatest people I know. These people gave me a place at UT, and they helped make me who I am. 

I’ll always remember Sara as the greatest mama cat we ever had at the copy desk. She kept Kevin, Brett and me together and rallied us to survive tryouts, as well as many late nights spent at the Texan editing stories. She showed us how to edit stories, and most importantly, she showed us how to have fun. 

I’ll always remember Brett and his love for Russia and learning languages. The copy desk wouldn’t be the same if Brett weren’t there to teach us all — or attempt to teach us all — Russian. I’ll even remember the times he taught me more about grammar than I ever thought was possible, all with the enthusiasm of a kid opening presents on Christmas. 

I’ll always remember Shabab as the managing editor who almost never left. Perpetually a student, Shabab stuck around seemingly just to share his wise adages with us; I’ll always remember the way he pushed us to be better. 

I’ll always remember Elisabeth as the managing editor who made tough decisions and stuck by them. I’ll remember how she taught me to understand my staff. Mostly, I’ll remember the baked goods she brought to the office that were devoured almost as soon as she set them down.  

Years from now, I’ll remember the way I felt walking down to the basement the first time as a freshman, nervous and completely ignorant of all things newspaper-related. I’ll remember the way it felt when I got hired as a copy editor, the way it felt when I got promoted the next semester to associate copy desk chief and the way it felt when Elisabeth asked me to be her associate managing editor. 

I’ll remember the utter cluelessness I felt throughout my career at the Texan and the way I was, and always will be, amazed at how a room full of 20-somethings with virtually no experience came together each night to make one hell of a newspaper.

But most of all, I’ll remember all of you: my fellow editors, writers, designers, comics artists, photographers, videographers — my fellow comrades and friends who made me feel at home and important at a university full of other extraordinary people. I wish you all the best.

-30-