Women’s tennis set to open Big 12 play against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

After suffering injuries and coming off five back-to-back losses, No. 54 Texas women’s tennis will travel north and play its Big 12 opening match against No. 23 Oklahoma on Friday and then face off against No. 10 Oklahoma State on Saturday.

In the last dual match, in which the team played Houston, Texas only dressed five healthy players and had to forfeit a match in doubles and singles. During the injury spell, Texas played a tough schedule resulting in them going 0–5 for road games.

So far, eight of Texas’ past opponents are in this week’s ITA national rankings. The Longhorns will need to return healthy players to get out of the slump.

Oklahoma head coach David Mullins said the team is ready to play a fully healthy Texas team and will conclude its five-game homestand against the Longhorns. Oklahoma State has been ranked in the ITA top 10 for the past two weeks.

Last season, Texas suffered a tough loss to Oklahoma State in the semifinals of the Big 12 championships in Fort Worth. This game will be the first time they’ve faced off since that loss.

The match versus Oklahoma will begin at 5 p.m. and will be aired live on SoonerSports.tv and later be re-aired on various Fox Sports channels. Texas will play OSU in Stillwater, Oklahoma, at 1 p.m. with live scoring at OKState.com.