30 years later, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy reunite to discuss “The Breakfast Club”

breakfastmain-copy
Courtesy of Universal Pictures

A brain, an athlete, a basket-case, a princess and a criminal.

In honor of “The Breakfast Club’s” 30th anniversary, Universal Studios premiered the digitally remastered film at the Paramount Theatre on Monday. The movie releases in theaters March 26 – 31. Before the screening began, the film’s stars Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy reminisced with the audience.

“I ate at least three entire sandwiches,” Sheedy said, referring to the pixie sticks-and-cereal flavored sandwiches her character eats.

Originally released in 1985, “The Breakfast Club” is a cult classic derived from the mind of late writer and director John Hughes. The film centers on five angsty teenagers, each a different stereotype, who attend Saturday detention and discover they have more in common than they thought.

“The essential message of the movie is that we are all outsiders,” Ringwald said. “No matter your background, skin color, or sexual preference everyone feels alone, right? It's about these people that feel so alone and they find out they're not.”

Ringwald, who plays the ‘princess’ Claire, and Sheedy, the ‘basket-case’ Allison, attributed the movie’s present-day relevance to its message.

“I felt what this movie really did was affirm the experience of a young person and put it up on the screen,” Sheedy said. “You do matter, we are interested in you and we’re going to tell your story.”

When asked whether the movie could have been made today and still capture the feeling that “The Breakfast Club” instills in audiences, Ringwald said it wouldn’t be the same.

“I don’t think it would be at all the way it was,” Ringwald said. “It would be a cool version but, without [Hughes] sheparding it — no.”

Ringwald said Hughes embodied characteristics from each of the five characters. Sheedy remembers he would approach each  actor telling them “No, I’m really your character.”

“One of [Sheedy’s] lines is ‘As you get older your heart dies,’” Ringwald said. “I feel like Hughes always had a heavy heart and that's why he was always able to hold on to that teen angst.”

Now that the years have passed and Ringwald and Sheedy are both mothers, Ringwald said it was an incredible moment when she realized she had become like the characters' parents.

“The movie focuses so much on how parents suck,” Ringwald said. “I would like to throw down the gauntlet right now and say there needs to be a movie from the parents side of view.”