Best Coast makes SXSW stop

Indie rockers Bethany Cosentino, Bobb Bruno and their band brought some of the “best coast” to Texas on Friday.

Cosentino, Bruno and the rest of the band, all of whom are from Los Angeles, took the South By Southwest Public Radio Day Stage at 3 p.m. to play music off their latest album California Nights. The album is set to release May 5.  

Best coast has been making beach rock its priority since 2009. Their unparalleled and authentic commitment to the genre is apparent in the California Nights tracks “Heaven Sent” and “California Nights.”

The set’s second song, “Heaven Sent,” follows a pretty traditional rock sound with heavy guitar, quick drums and semi-screeching vocals.

The third song they played was their first album’s title track, “Crazy for You.” The song did a good job showcasing Cosentino’s girlish vocals and the band’s bouncy, psychedelic rock.

The absence of a drumbeat during half of “California Nights” slowed the set down. In this somber ode to Californian love, the single’s lyrics play to the weed-centric beach rock genre.

It seemed to be a theme to play the title tracks off three of the band’s four albums. The second album’s titular track, “The Only Place,” was a short-but-sweet number that got heads bobbing.

The last song of the set is the band’s most popular single — “Boyfriend.” A track off the 2010 album Crazy For You, the song is about the trials and tribulations of unrequited love. The universal nature of the song combined with the catchy chorus line, “I wish he was my boyfriend,” make the song perfect song to belt in your car.

The band’s SXSW stop took place at the beginning of their 2015 North American tour, which started in February and continues through the end of June.