Monthly playlist: Four artists to help ring in summer

Whether you’re spending the summer poolside or driving down the coast, here are four artists to help you ring in summer this June.

Houndmouth

From the farmlands of Indiana, Houndmouth is a summer playlist staple. Rough Trade Records signed the band after hearing them play South By Southwest in 2013 and, since then, they’ve released two albums. Dubbed the American Mumford & Sons by The Guardian, Houndmouth plays songs fitting for beachside bonfires and backyard barbeques.

Members of the band are natural storytellers. The song “Black Gold” relates an anecdote of an oil-rich family, and the song “Penitentiary” tells the story of a delinquent running from the law.

The folk-rock band combines punchy beats with old-timey – and often humorous – lyrics that reflect its members’ hometown roots. The first song, “Sedona,” on their new album, Little Neon Limelight, tells listeners, “don’t you hop on in the stage coach baby gonna take you for a spin.” The song “My Cousin Greg” begins with the line, “My cousin Greg, he’s a greedy son of a bitch.” Despite these odd lyrics, you’ll be singing along to the catchy chorus by the end of the song and many others.

Artists you might like – The Lone Bellow, Alabama Shakes, Jamestown Revival

Listen now:  “Sedona,” Houndmouth 

Cayucas

Straight out of Santa Monica, California, Cayucas epitomizes beach tunes. Whether you’re actually digging your toes in the sand or just want to pretend you are, blast Cayucas through the speakers.

Twin brothers Ben and Zach Yudin and the three other members who make up the band released their first album, Bigfoot, in 2013. Released in April, the new single, called “Moony Eyed Walrus,” demonstrates the band’s signature quick beats and West Coast vibes.

To accompany the songs’ beach sound, the lyrics enumerate stories of bittersweet love and summer memories. The twins croon to the lines, “running through the back door covered in grass stains” and “rope hanging from the tree, covered in dirt and leaves” when describing a summer romance in the song “A Summer Thing.”

The group’s new album, Dancing at the Blue Lagoon, is set to release June 23, and the band begins its next tour at the end of the month. Cayucas will play in Austin at The Parish on August 9.

Artists you might like – Generationals, Young the Giant, Vacationer

Listen now: “Cayucos,” Cayucas 

Bahamas

After playing with artists such as Feist and Jack Johnson, Canadian musician Afie Jurvanen took on a solo project called Bahamas in 2009. With an emphasis on vocals and guitar, Bahamas evokes simplicity.

“All the Time,” one of the songs from Bahamas’ newest album, Bahamas is Afie, released in 2014, starts with the catchy, boisterous line, “I’ve got all the time in the world.” The song’s slow pace and soothing melody continues throughout the song.

Other tracks, such as “Lost in the Light” and “Stronger than That,” display a similar easiness, fit for a day cruising with the windows down or relaxing with a glass of iced tea. While older albums display a more indie sound, the newest album incorporates soft folk vibes.

Artists you might like – White Denim, Lord Huron, Wild Child

Listen now: “All the Time,” Bahamas 

Jukebox the Ghost

If Jukebox the Ghost were to be described in two words, piano pop would certainly do it justice. Upbeat piano riffs supplement each track from this District of Columbia, three-piece.

The group began in 2005, and, after releasing three albums and performing at South By Southwest this year, it released a self-titled album in April. Jukebox’s rapid, often electronic beats accompany poppy piano riffs and catchy lyrics. The band mirrors its theatrical stage presence in songs such as “Hollywood,” which begins with a slow monologue and transitions into rapid clapping and occasional shouts in the background.

The song “Somebody” off of the group’s third album, Safe Travels, still remains the band’s strongest yet. Its high-pitched, rapid chorus – “I want it, I need it, I want somebody” – is sure to get stuck in your head, but that’s nothing to complain about.

You can see their lively stage presence this month on their summer tour with Ingrid Michaelson. The band plays at ACL Live at Moody Theatre on June 8.

Artists you might like – Ra Ra Riot, Grouplove, Matt and Kim

Listen now: “Postcard,” Jukebox the Ghost