Five secret menus that will appeal to your adventurous side

Smith-Secret_Menu_illo
Victoria Smith

If you’re a food snob, you probably order the most complex thing on the menu because, face it, “normal” just doesn’t appease your meticulous palette. Impress your friends even more this summer by ordering snacks and beverages that aren’t on the menu. Several local restaurants and food chains offer secret menu options sure to satisfy any snack-lover’s appetite.

Torchy’s Tacos

If Torchy’s signature favorites like The Democrat or Trailer Park aren’t enough to put you in a food coma, these non-menu items will do the trick.

The Jack of Clubs: A delicious breakfast taco including a fried egg, grilled potatoes, crisp corn tortilla strips, black beans and shredded cheese. Cilantro, sour cream and Torchy’s Diablo sauce top off the creation.

The Ace of Spades: A meat-lover’s heaven consisting of grilled brisket, a jalapeno sausage link, a fried egg, green chile queso, mixed cheese, Diablo sauce and cilantro. 

The Hillbilly: Similar to the Trailer Park, this taco contains a fried chicken tender topped off with chorizo, bacon, green chilies, shredded cheese, pico de gallo and poblano ranch.           

Starbucks

If you don’t find any of the treats from Starbucks’ new line of icy drinks appealing, check out these off-menu options. Baristas may not know what you’re asking for just by saying the name, but describe the mixture and they’re usually happy to mix it up.

Raspberry Cheesecake: Ask for a White Chocolate Mocha any way you like – iced, hot or as a frappuccino. Then ask the barista to add a few pumps of raspberry.

Oreo Frappuccino: Order a Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino but ask for white mocha syrup instead of the regular mocha.

Captain Crunch: Ask the barista to make a Strawberries and Crème Frappuccino with a pump of caramel, two pumps of toffee nut, one pump of hazelnut, and two scoops of chocolate chips.

Jamba Juice

Put a twist on some of your favorite Jamba Juices with these uncommon concoctions.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries: If you want something richer than a normal smoothie, ask for Jamba Juices’ Chocolate Moo’d smoothie with an additional scoop of frozen yogurt and a scoop of strawberries.

Strawberry Piña Colada: Ask for a smoothie with pineapple juice, some coconut, a scoop of pineapple sherbet, a scoop of frozen yogurt and a scoop of strawberries.

Butterfinger: For a smoothie with this candy-like flavor ask for a Butterfinger smoothie. If the workers don’t know how to make this when you ask, ask for a smoothie with 12 oz of carrot juice, two scoops of frozen yogurt, chocolate and peanut butter blended with ice.

In-N-Out

This burger joint prides itself in having a simple menu: burgers, fries and shakes. But most regulars are well aware of the fact that In-N-Out is prepared to serve up some more complex orders not on the menu.

Flying Dutchman: This creation sticks to In-N-Out’s signature simple nature. This order consists of two slices of cheese sandwiched between two hamburger patties, eliminating the need for bread.

Grilled Cheese: This option is everything but burger. The Grilled Cheese consists of a bun, melted cheese and any burger toppings you request.

Neapolitan Milkshake: This classic and simple treat consists of all three milkshake flavors – chocolate, strawberry and vanilla – blended into one sweet shake.

Sonic

This drive-in chain will mix up just about any combination of flavors — their new line of milkshakes includes a jalapeño and chocolate option. If this doesn’t appeal to you, check out these other uncommon creations the menu doesn’t advertise.  

Purple Sprite: A combination of Sprite, Powerade, lemonade and cranberry juice.

Dr. Pepper Orgasm: A mix of Dr. Pepper, lemonade and Powerade.

Pickle-O’s: Pickles covered in batter and deep-fried. Although they were thought to be discontinued, you can still ask for this fried treat.