Live Blog: SXSW 2016 | Saturday, March 19

sxsw2016liveblog+copy
Amy Zhang

Update (9:30 p.m.): During Flatstock 53 inside the Austin Convention Center this afternoon, The Daily Texan spoke to screenprinter Gary McGarvey about his work, his travels and why he loves creating flatstock.
–Katie Walsh

Update (6 p.m.): Texas electro-rock band Neon Indian played a dance-worthy set to close out the Fun Fun Fun Fest day party at Mohawk to a close Saturday.

In what was the last of Neon Indian's shows at SXSW, frontman Alan Palomo sipped tea and apologized for sounding like "Fran Drescher" while turning out a high-energy performance. With most musicians doing double duty on instruments — which at times meant there were three percussionists on stage — the set's pounding rhythms had most of the audience swaying their arms or dancing along. Songs like closer "Polish Girl" took on an almost-hypnotic feel as Neon Indian said goodbye to Austin and welcomed the last night of the festival. 
— Megan Hix

Update (4 p.m.): Kelly Rowland talked about her new music, girl groups and the early days of Destiny’s Child during her SXSW interview this afternoon. Read our recap here.

Update (3 p.m.): Find out which films won the Audience Awards here. 

—Cat Cardenas, Katie Walsh

Update (12:30 p.m.): After approaching thunderstorms caused Fire Marshals to send attendees to take shelter in their cars and in a small barn, Willie Nelson’s annual Luck Reunion — a day-long mini festival at Nelson’s ranch — seemed like a bust.

But as patrons waited out the wind, rain and lightning, it became clear the show would go on rain or shine.

Folk-rock singer Lissie sang to the rhythm of the thunder and an acoustic guitar in the Revival Tent. Later, Jenny Lewis and Lucius took to Willie’s on-site chapel. As the night went on, the storm passed and artists emerged to make the most of the evening.

Downsizing from his planned main stage performance, Willie Nelson played a hit-packed set to a crowded Revival Tent audience. The crowd, made up mostly of die-hards who had endured the rain and trekked back through the mud, sang along with the country superstar as he led them through “Whiskey for My Men, Beer for My Horses,” “It’s All Going To Pot” and “Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die.”

It may not have gone as planned, but those who waited certainly had their reward.
—Megan Hix

Update (12 p.m.): SXSW 2016 is coming to an end, but that doesn’t mean things are winding down. From late-night concerts to panel discussions and movie screenings, we’ve still got a full day of SXSW action in store.

Yesterday’s downpours significantly cooled our temperatures, which will reach a high of 64 degrees and fall into the 50s at night. Don’t forget to pack a sweater!

Here’s what we have planned today:

1 p.m. – South By Southwest Record Fair
2 p.m. – SXSW Interview: Kelly Rowland
4:30 p.m. “Johnny Frank Garrett’s Last Word” screening
12:15 a.m. – X Ambassadors