No. 4 Texas men’s golf to begin play at Valspar Collegiate

There’s something brewing with the Texas men’s golf team.

Texas has found its mojo lately after a turbulent fall campaign where the No. 4 Longhorns saw no wins, battled injuries and were mentally worn out from playing busy summer amateur schedules. 

“We’ve got renewed energy,” said head coach John Fields, who has seen his Longhorns rattle off three wins and another top-five finish in the first four tournaments of the spring season. Junior Beau Hossler has been the key fixture in Texas’ success, having won four times to date. Texas added its third win this past week at the Lamkin San Diego Classic, where the Longhorns won by nine shots.

“We knew that at the beginning of the year that if we play well in any particular tournament, we could win it,” Fields said. “Doesn’t matter what tournament it is. Somebody might outplay us, but we’ve got a chance to win.”

This week Texas is in Palm City, Florida for the Valspar Collegiate on Monday and Tuesday to face another difficult test against an elite field. The 15-team field features ten ranked teams and five of the top ten, including No. 1 Illinois, No. 2 Florida, Texas, No. 8 Clemson and No. 9 Florida State.

The tournament is at the Floridian National Golf Club, a par-71, with rounds one and two being played Monday and the third and final round being played on Tuesday.

The Texas starting lineup is junior Beau Hossler, junior Gavin Hall, redshirt sophomore Taylor Funk, sophomore Doug Ghim and sophomore Scottie Scheffler. Freshman Steven Chervony will compete as an individual.