UT should teach how to work online

Most professional fields are moving to the internet. Soon enough universities will offer classes, in all majors, that teach students how to work remotely. At the University of Texas, there aren’t nearly enough classes that teach students how to work online. This is an internet era and UT should rush right towards this opportunity and offer classes to students in a variety of majors to work over the internet.

Each major has different requirements. Some majors require that professionals work along other professionals, while in others, people can work by themselves. However, most fields have been harnessing the power of the internet.

In the field of education, self-employed teachers are making videos on YouTube to get education across the globe — an option for children with low educational access. Some teachers teach live while interacting with others. There are even crash courses that are greatly beneficial for a quick refresher or general knowledge. UT has yet the promote it in the School of Education and its teaching certificates that it offers.

In the field of medicine, telemedicine is on the rise. Telemedicine is the remote diagnosis and treatment of patients using technology such as voice call or video call. In general, it costs less than a traditional doctor’s visit and there is great ease of access for those living in rural areas — they do not have to travel long distances to get a checkup and people don't have to wait for weeks to get an appointment. While UT has made initiations to create a statewide telemedicine network, it still has a lot of work to do in teaching it to the students.

In the field of natural sciences such as physics, astronomy and geosciences, so many people do independent research from home and share their research and opinions on their blog posts. Sharing their research online helps science advance on a much global scope than the traditional science journals that are usually boring to read compared to blog posts. Blogging has given scientists a great opportunity to collaborate with each other. While UT teaches coding to the students, it does not teach much, if anything, about blogging in science majors.

These are just a few fields that are harnessing the power of the internet to help the world. The rise of the internet has made access to and from rural areas much easier than before. A lot of work can be done much faster, which in fields such as medicine, can make a huge difference. Computer Science is so popular because pretty much everything can be done from anywhere — a lifestyle that most people prefer much more than traveling to work.

Most majors may use internet in a different way and that is why UT needs to incorporate such classes in all of its majors. This is not only greatly beneficial for the students as it is a preferred lifestyle for many, but also for people living in areas far from the main city and for people living in underdeveloped countries.

Batra is computer and science and rhetoric and writing junior from New Delhi, India. She is a senior columnist.