Texas Tribune Festival 2017

Trump_Nat_Sec_Brooke
Brooke Crim

Follow this page for all of The Daily Texan’s coverage of Texas Tribune Festival 2017.  We’ll bring you moments from the biggest discussions, covering topics like local control, sexual assault, higher education, the 2018 elections and more. Below is a breakdown of our liveblog coverage:

Friday, September 22

Follow our coverage of Senator Al Franken’s opening address and the Opening Night Party on the Main Mall on our Facebook and Twitter.

Saturday, September 23

Local Control vs. Local Liberty: Texas state legislators and lawmakers discuss how cities and counties operate and where the power lies.

One on One with Joe Strauss: Texas House Speaker Joe Straus will discuss this past legislative session and special session, as well as the future of Texas politics and the war amongst Republicans. Texas Tribune CEO Evan Smith will moderate the conversation.

Higher Education Funding and Spending: As college costs continue to rise nationwide, learn about the future of college affordability from experts, including university presidents and national and local congressmen.

The Fight Over Sanctuary Cities: The discussion over sanctuary cities continues with Senate Bill 4 authors, advocates, and the mayor leading the lawsuit against the bill.

Trump and National Security: Robert Chesney will moderate a panel featuring Congressman Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, Congressman Will Hurd, R-Helotes, and U.S. foreign policy experts Kathleen Hicks and Malcolm Nance. They will discuss America's place in the world — and whether we're safer since President Donald Trump's inauguration.

One on One with Beto O’Rourke: Congressman Beto O'Rourke, D-El Paso, will discuss his campaign against incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, to become the first Democrat to hold the seat in nearly two decades. Texas Tribune CEO Evan Smith will moderate.

The Right Response on Sexual Assault: Kirk Watson Paula Lavigne, J.M. Lozano, Wanda Mercer and Sierra Smith. Morgan Smith will moderate.

Trump and the Resistance: Activists and lawmakers connect to discuss the role of rebellion under the current presidency.

The Story of Harvey: Houston's Police Chief Art Acevedo delves into Harvey's impact.

The Democratic Playbook: Former state senator and gubernatorial candidate Wendy Davis, Texas Democratic Party Chairman Gilberto Hinojosa, Democratic National Committee CEO Jess O’Connell, and state Rep. Chris Turner, D-Grand Prairie, will discuss the state Democratic party's path into 2018. Texas Tribune reporter Patrick Svitek will moderate.

Race, Voting and the Courts: Issues regarding redistricting and voted ID take the spotlight in this panel discussion.

Sunday, September 24

A Conversation with Cornyn and Cruz: Texas senators discuss Texas' place in Washington politics as the state rebuilds after Harvey.

The New Abnormal: Chris Cillizza, Ben Domenech ,Virginia Heffernan, Indira Lakshmanan, and Charles P. Pierce try to make sense of 2017 and look ahead at 2018. Texas Tribune’s Evan Smith will moderate.