Student organization campaigns for safe sexual environments leading up to one of UT’s most at-risk weekends

Concerns over safety are mounting as Round Up approaches this weekend, so student-run organization Not On My Campus has plans to take action.

NOMC president Tatum Zeko said Round Up, a weekend-long philanthropy event during which Greek organizations host parties, is a high-risk period for sexual assault. In anticipation of the action-packed weekend, the organization will further campaign for safe sexual environments with Round Up For Consent.

“We call it a red zone,” said Zeko, an English senior. “The amounts of sexual assaults that are reported or happen skyrocket during these times.”

Other red zones include the first two months of school, Texas v. OU weekend and spring break, Zeko said.

Throughout the year, NOMC works to educate students about and prevent sexual assault on campus by hosting biweekly discussions and implementing a peer educator program.

Stephanie Bode, NOMC marketing director and education junior, designed Round Up For Consent stickers this year as part of the campaign’s initiative to spread awareness on the importance of consent. The goal was to have fun merchandise people would want to wear during the events, said Maddi Weinstein, NOMC outreach director.

“It seemed obvious, considering how much how much of a risk-prone weekend it is, to have something very immediate as a present reminder that consent is necessary in all interpersonal interactions,” said Weinstein, an international relations junior.

Round Up For Consent stickers will be sold to spirit groups, sororities and fraternities as part of a social media competition. The organization with the most photos posted with the stickers and hashtagged #RoundUpForConsent will have the profits from the stickers donated in their name to the Interfraternity Council and the University Panhellenic Council’s campus-wide philanthropy for children battling cancer, the B+ Foundation, Weinstein said. NOMC has a donor, the BThere app, to match that amount.

NOMC works closely with the IFC and UPC to raise awareness about sexual assault and harassment issues, as many board members are involved in Greek life, where some of the highest rates of reports come from, NOMC vice president Jonathan
Shaham said.

“The most damaging thing to survivors and even perpetrators is silence,” said Shaham, an electrical engineering junior. “We need to work from within (the Greek community) to push back on people who think it’s okay and that there is ever an excuse to assault or harass someone or (to) even use language that perpetrates this kind of culture.”