Save money with these 5 student discounts

discounts_0809_NikolePena_discounts+copy
Nikole Pena

Although college students are among the most debt-ridden individuals in America, they’re also some businesses’ most sought-out targets. Many businesses offer student discounts, but with so many of these offers kept quiet, where do you start? Start with The Daily Texan and our five ways your UT ID and student email can be put to good use.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Let’s face it — movie tickets aren’t cheap, especially when college students aren’t paying the children’s or seniors’ prices. Places such as Alamo Drafthouse Cinema can make movie nights with friends easier on your wallet, however. At Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, students with a current student ID can purchase movie tickets at the matinee price all day long. So when you’re not drowning in tedious coursework, head over to any of the six Alamo Drafthouse Cinema locations in the Austin area to enjoy a discounted movie.

Amy’s Ice Creams

Most incoming freshmen are afraid of catching the infamous “freshman 15,” and for good reason, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat yourself to some good ice cream from time to time — specially when your UT ID guarantees you discounted ice cream. At the Austin-based Amy’s Ice Creams location on Guadalupe Street, a quick flash of your UT ID can get you 10 percent off any of their homemade ice creams, ices, milkshakes or frozen yogurts. Offering eye-popping scenery and innovative flavors ranging from jalapeño bacon to chocolate wasabi, this local ice cream joint is a great way to entertain your eyes and taste buds when your closest dining
hall can’t.

Office 365

During your years as a UT student, it’s unlikely that you won’t run into any Microsoft Office applications while completing an assignment. Unlike the other items on the list, this Microsoft Office deal isn’t a discount — it’s free. While anyone else hoping to legally download Microsoft Office 2016 can expect to sacrifice at least a hundred bucks to get this accomplished, this software is offered to students and teachers free of charge. The Office 365 student bundle includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Teams and other helpful tools. Although its name might be misleading, Office 365’s free subscription lasts longer than a year; you’re qualified for renewals as long as you’re enrolled at the 40 Acres.

Amazon

On Amazon, you can find anything from toilet night-lights and pizza scissors to student perks. Instead of its annual, $99 Amazon Prime membership fee, Amazon offers qualifying students a free, six-month trial of Amazon
Prime and then all of its benefits for $6.49 a month. Their student plan lasts for four years or until graduation, whichever arrives first. So when you can’t find what you need at the University Co-Op or Dobie Target, explore the unknown wonders of the virtual Amazon with your
discounted membership. 

Spotify and Hulu

Whether to liven up long walks across campus, energize miserable study sessions or break the ice at parties, music is a necessary part of any college student’s life. But with some music streaming services’ high membership rates, many students are forced to make costly decisions or listen to ad-interrupted music. Services such as Spotify give students a bit of financial leeway. At $4.99 a month for students, Spotify gives unlimited, ad-free access to its 30 million-plus song catalog. Along with music, the plan also gives paying members access to Hulu’s streaming services, allowing students to make their own soundtrack to their college years and spend their time binge-watching the latest releases at a
cheap price.