UT kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month

Kylee Howard, News Reporter

Jennifer Flores, a textiles and apparel sophomore and international student from Mexico, said UT’s Hispanic Heritage event gave her a chance to make connections with other students.

“It just felt like we’re a little bit closer,” Flores said. “It feels a little bit like I’m at home.”

Accompanied by music, food and a panel of guest speakers, students celebrated the start of Hispanic Heritage month Wednesday at the ¡Bienvenidos! (Welcome!) Event.

Richard R. Flores, a professor in the Mexican American and Latina/o studies department, helped plan the event, which was held at the William C. Powers Student Center. Flores is chair of the Presidential Hispanic Serving Institution Steering Committee, which formed shortly after the U.S. Department of Education named the University a Hispanic Serving Institution in fall 2020, and received the prestigious Seal of Excelencia that same year. 

“This is a very exciting time to be a Latinx student on this campus,” said Professor Flores. “I hope students just embrace it and celebrate and make the most of their education.”

The University received the HSI designation and seal when the Hispanic student demographic reached 25%. To Professor Flores, this is only one side of the story. “Our HSI and Seal status means that we are working every day to make sure we understand and recognize your experiences,” he said in a speech at the event.

Economics freshman Faustino Rodriguez said he heard about the event through his undergraduate studies course and attended as an opportunity to connect with Hispanic students.

“It makes me feel included,” Rodriguez said. “In my high school, it was a class of 47… I feel like there wasn’t really a place for us and I feel like now coming here and seeing how much diversity (there is), … I feel like I belong.” 

Business freshman Brandon Fuentes attended the event along with Rodriguez.

It makes me feel more at home,” Fuentes said. “Because I live in the Rio Grande Valley, it’s a lot of Hispanic people — so it makes me feel more connected to that place.”

President Jay Hartzell said the school has been focusing on bringing vibrancy back to campus post-pandemic. After widespread social distancing and federal and University regulations, UT hopes to continue forging exciting opportunities for students, he said.  

“The way the campus is heading feels exciting to all of us,” Hartzell said. “It’s why we’re here, why we do what we do, but also just seeing the diversity and the strength in the student body is also really inspiring.”