Fifth 1975 album impresses with lyrical evolution, diverse instrumentals

Stephanie Jumper, Life & Arts General Reporter

A month ahead of their Austin tour stop, The 1975 released their latest album, “Being Funny in a Foreign Language” on Oct. 14. The band’s newest work still embraces themes with nods to sex, drugs and an exhilarating amount of rock ‘n’ roll. 

The listening experience launches with “The 1975 (BFIAFL).” Healy’s words remain packed with the band’s trademark cynical yet lighthearted sound, starting with the opening line: “This will get bigger if you know what I mean.” With the notes of a booming, dramatic piano, the group draws listeners into what sounds like the prologue of a storybook. 

Remnants of The 1975’s quintessential sound returns in full force with “Part of the Band.” Lyrics remain riddled with self-awareness to the point where Healy questions the authenticity of his reflections: “Am I ironically woke? The butt of my joke? / Or am I just some post-coke, average, skinny bloke.” He also criticizes the music culture that applauds faux-progressiveness and the “Vaccinista tote bag chic baristas” that perpetuate it. 

“Oh Caroline” disenchants as the soundtrack’s lowest point. After relishing songs in one sitting, the fifth track’s backing music feels overly derivative of previous albums. The words accompanying these predictable beats don’t save the song either. While listening to Healy’s depressive thoughts does strike a chord, certain parts prove repetitive. The phrase “Oh-oh, Caroline” involves itself far too often in the songwriting process.

The album both begins and ends at high notes. Its 11th track, “When We Are Together,” captivates with its simple and sweet anecdotes. The storyline moves fans by discussing Healy’s relationship, creating a bittersweet, cleverly cheesy slow song with lyrics like “Our first kiss was Christmas in the Walmart toy department.” The 1975’s closing tune instills regrets of yesterday and hesitant hope for tomorrow. Its violin instrumentals coupled with its romanticized retelling of a breakup may remind listeners of Taylor Swift’s “Back to December.”

With nearly 10 years as music icons, their fifth studio album represents promise as the band peers into a more stripped-down music style at some moments, yet unapologetically poppy in others. Musical breaks in the album make a satisfying strong point. Each song is an instrumental whiplash, with tracks ranging from violin and soulful piano to non-stop guitar. 

Staying true to the album title, Healy’s wisdom interwoven with his humor provides a refreshing evolution in The 1975’s discography. Considering the group’s unique sound and thoughtful lyricism, the band’s turn of phrase saves their songs when its instruments feel uninspired. This album will give listeners more reasons than ever to wish they were also “Part of the Band.”