The Daily Texan’s mellow playlist to welcome spring

Arlinne Montemayor, General Life&Arts Reporter

As the air warms and flowers bloom, nostalgia and sentimentality emerge during this season of change. To welcome this era of change and warmth, The Daily Texan curated a mellow playlist to accompany spring’s entry. 

“Call It Fate, Call It Karma” by The Strokes 

Filled with soft piano and vocals, this eerily beautiful track from The Strokes’ 2013 album “Comedown Machine captures the bittersweet warmth of spring. Open-ended lyrics convey the hardship of change while leaving room for interpretation, with frontman Julian Casablancas crying out, “Can I waste all your time here on the sidewalk? / Can I stand in your light just for a while?” Ultimately, this track serves as a reminder that while change will come, lessons from the past serve a meaningful purpose. 

“Soledad y el Mar” by Natalia Lafourcade (feat. Los Macorinos)

Flooded with rich melodies and folk riffs, Natalia Lafourcade and Los Macorinos come together to craft a beautiful ballad featuring themes of loneliness and acceptance. From Lafourcade’s 2017 album “Musas,” this track exemplifies her move towards more traditional Mexican folk influences. The soft and hazy track makes for the perfect nostalgic listen to welcome a new beginning. 

“We’re Going to Be Friends” by The White Stripes 

Leaning into folk guitar arrangements and sweet vocals, The White Stripes gift listeners with a spoonful of nostalgia on their 2001 album White Blood Cells. Full of back-to-school imagery, the alternative rock band recounts the journey of meeting a new friend and exemplifies the sweetness in change and new opportunities. 

“Algo Contigo” by Rita Payés and Elisabeth Roma

Elisabeth Roma’s guitar and Rita Payés’ trombone and vocals add breathtaking instrumentation to a ballad full of heart. As a mother-daughter duo, Roma and Payés’ chemistry culminates in this rendition of Chico Novarro’s “Algo Contigo.” With unrequited love as the driving force of this track, a sweet trombone solo pulls at the heart strings yet warms the soul. 

“Upside Down” by Jack Johnson  

This track, written for the 2006 film “Curious George” soundtrack, cultivates a sweet and nostalgic moment for anyone willing to channel their inner child. With upbeat percussion, this song serves as a charming reminder to stay curious and revel in simple pleasures.

“In A Good Way” by Faye Webster

This dreamy love song delivers on guitar, thick bass and comfort. Faye Webster paints a warm picture of a loving and comforting relationship, which feels like the warm embrace of the spring breeze. The mix of Webster’s soft vocals and violin makes listeners “wanna cry in a good way.” 

“Texas Reznikoff” by Mitski 

As the opening track in Mitski’s 2014 album “Bury Me At Makeout Creek,” this love ballad kicks off with sweet soft guitar and vocals. The track ends with harsh electric guitar and drums, contrasting warm lines like “You’re the breeze in my Austin nights.” 

“Feels Like We Only Go Backwards” by Tame Impala 

This track from Tame Impala’s 2012 album “Lonerism” conveys the bittersweet nature of a cyclical relationship that routinely ends up in the same dark place. Hazy synth and thick bass backdrop the Australian multi-instrumentalist as he yearns for change, reminding listeners of the importance of moving forward.