Texas is the best state to road trip this summer

Kuba Bard

Texans, pack your bags and fuel up because it’s road trip season and, according to a WalletHub ranking released on June 26, Texas is the best state to road trip this summer.

The ranking compared costs, safety and activities among all 50 states to determine each state’s desirability in terms of road tripping. Erica Keel, a road trip expert and founder of a travel blog, said the ranking results did not surprise her because Texas is such a large state with a variety of things to see.

“One of my favorite things about Texas is that the small towns are maintained really well,” Keel said. “Almost every small town I drive through has something that I would like to check out.”

Keel said beginner road-trippers ought to download offline maps in order to access them even without service. She also said platforms like Pinterest and Instagram can provide location inspiration.  

“When I start planning a trip, I go to my board to see all the stuff I’ve saved, and it just helps because I remember what I wanted to see or do somewhere,” Keel said.

WalletHub analyst Jill Gonzalez said “Texas ranks fifth for leisure activities, which is the driving point for any summer road trip.”

“The state has the most zoos, botanical gardens and amusement parks in the nation, making it the perfect destination for any family,” Gonzalez said. “It also sits at the top for accommodation and food services, catering to every preference and budget. A road trip in Texas is also not as costly, since the state has some of the lowest prices for gas and three-star hotel rooms.”

Lori Blalock, founder and creator of travel blog Southerner Says, said she believes a lot of people don’t realize that without leaving the state, travelers can see just about every landscape, from mountains to desert to grasslands.  

Blalock said she encourages people to give road trips a try because they have an element of surprise. 

“It doesn’t have to be long or complicated, even around where you live,” Blalock said. “Just drive somewhere new, just take a small weekend trip, try a new restaurant, try a new area and just go for it.”