University to close Division of Campus and Community Engagement

The+University+of+Texas+tower+on+Saturday%2C+Feb.+24%2C+2024.+The+tower+was+lit+up+orange+for+the++Womens+Indoor+Track+and+Field+Big+12+Championship+win.+
Kennedy Weatherby
The University of Texas tower on Saturday, Feb. 24, 2024. The tower was lit up orange for the Women’s Indoor Track and Field Big 12 Championship win.

The University announced today the closure of the Division of Campus and Community Engagement, after a review of the University’s Senate Bill 17 implementation, in an email from President Jay Hartzell.

The DCCE, formerly known as the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, holds student-facing services and programs like the Women’s Community Center. 

“We are discontinuing programs and activities within the Division of Campus and Community Engagement that now overlap with our efforts elsewhere,” Hartzell said. “Following these changes, the scale and needs of the remaining DCCE activities do not justify a stand-alone division.”

The announcement follows state Sen. Brandon Creighton’s March 26 letter to Texas university chancellors and regents about their expected compliance with SB 17.

“I am deeply concerned with the possibility that many institutions may choose to merely rename their offices or employee titles,” Creighton said in the letter. “This letter should serve as notice that this is unacceptable.” 

According to the email, associate or assistant deans formerly focused on DEI will return to full-time faculty positions, with their DEI-oriented staff roles eliminated. Students employed by the DCCE will retain positions until the end of the semester. 

UT will continue to operate services such as disability services, University Interscholastic League, UT charter schools and volunteer and community programs under other divisions. The University said it will work to ensure student-facing services under the DCCE operate for the rest of the semester.

The University declined to comment.