Texas football welcomes new coaching staff

Connor Steen

Entering his third season with the Longhorns, Texas football head coach Steve Sarkisian has made several recruitment efforts. But fresh faces on the coaching staff have flown under the radar compared to the players. 

Sarkisian’s theme of “intentionality” is being used to rebuild the team out on the field and behind the scenes as the new coaching staff will debut alongside players this September. 

Here’s a look at some of Texas football’s recent coaching hires: 

Chris Jackson

Hired in January, Chris Jackson comes from the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars. A former NFL wide receiver, Jackson joins the Texas staff as a wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator. Jackson spent 10 years with the NFL, five as a player and five as a coach, including as a defensive assistant and assistant wide receivers coach for the Chicago Bears from 2018-2021. With Brennan Marion headed to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas as an offensive coordinator, Jackson ushers in a professional perspective that can improve Texas’ receiver play and total offense. 

Paul Chryst

Paul Chryst, a familiar face in college football, joins the Texas staff as a special assistant. Fired midseason last year, the former Wisconsin head coach will be a critical offensive analyst for Steve Sarkisian as he boasts 11 years of head coach experience. Like Sarkisian, Chryst brings a welcome quarterback perspective to offensive game-planning. A two-time Big Ten Coach of the Year, Chryst’s sudden firing in 2022 was a surprise but likely due to Wisconsin’s 0-2 start in Big 10 play. Nonetheless, this veteran head coach brings a deep understanding of the game that will hopefully transfer to the field. 

Joe DeCamillis

Another special assistant, Joe DeCamillis, will also carry over professional experience to the Forty Acres. A 30-year NFL special teams coordinator, DeCamillis joins Sarkisian’s staff from the Los Angeles Rams after winning the Super Bowl with them in 2021. He was also the special teams coordinator for the Denver Broncos during their Super Bowl 50 championship. DeCamillis is a massive and promising addition to a Texas team that struggled on special teams last season.

Payam Saadat

Payam Saadat joins the Texas staff as a defensive special assistant, seemingly filling the role of Gary Patterson. With nearly 30 years of Division 1 coaching experience, Saadat most recently coached at Portland State for three seasons. During his tenure at Portland, Saadat cut opponents’ scoring by 13.5 points per game and total offense allowed by 100 yards per game. A former linebacker at Washington State, Saadat brings valuable knowledge to a steadily improving Texas defense.

Whether on-field or off, these new coaching additions are proven leaders who can bolster Texas’ roster for the 2023 season.