Games to Watch

Assad Malik

All of these teams won their respective game last week, but only half of these teams can start the season with a 2–0 record. Here are some of the top matchups to look out for this weekend: 

No. 11 Texas @ No. 3 Alabama

Saturday, Sept. 9, 6 p.m. CT, ESPN

Last year, after waiting during the early hours of the morning, Texas students watched Sarkisian almost pull off a shocking win against Alabama. With a final score of 20-19, the team was only one field goal away from winning on the Forty Acres, even with quarterback Quinn Ewers’ shoulder injury early on in the game. This year, Alabama may have the home field advantage, but they have three injured players: defensive backs Malachi Moore and Jaylen Key, and wide receiver Emmanuel Henderson. While Henderson will be out for several weeks with a hip injury, Moore and Key, who were injured in Alabama’s last game against Middle Tennessee, may still be able to play in the game. Although the Crimson Tide has an 81% chance of winning according to the College Football Power Index, Texas’ hunger to win after last year’s close margin may be enough to create a huge upset.

No. 20 Ole Miss @ No. 24 Tulane

Saturday, Sept. 9, 2:30 p.m. CT, ESPN2

The Rebels dominated in their week one game. Showing off their offensive potential, Ole Miss beat Mercer 73-7, scoring at least one touchdown every quarter and almost doubling the predicted 35-point differential. Tulane also walked away from their first matchup with a 37-17 win against Southern Alabama. With a battle for points between Ole Miss quarterback Jaxon Dart and Tulane quarterback Michael Pratt, this game will show the true potential of both teams and serve as an indicator for the rest of the season. Currently, Ole Miss is favored to win the game, opening as a four-point betting favorite over Tulane, according to CircaSports.

Iowa @ Iowa St. 

Saturday, Sept. 9, 2:30 p.m. CT, FOX

In the 70th annual rivalry game this weekend, a fierce rivalry and a close matchup should make this game interesting. Last year,  Iowa State won the game 10-7, breaking a six-year losing streak against the Hawkeyes. This year, the Cyclones are projected to keep winning; they have a 57.4% chance to win the game outright. Last week, Iowa State’s backup quarterback Rocco Becht scored twice on 10 completions, while Iowa’s transfer quarterback from Michigan, Cade McNamara, also scored twice. The game has further significance to Cyclone and Hawkeye fans; it will give points towards winning the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series, an in-state point-based competition for the school with the most total wins in head-to-head games. 

No. 23 Texas A&M @ Miami

Saturday, Sept. 9th, 2:30 p.m. CT, ABC

Both Texas A&M and Miami convincingly won their games last week, with A&M beating New Mexico 52-10 and Miami beating Miami of Ohio 38-3. The Aggies are the favorite for this game, with a four and a half point spread. However, Miami has a strong defense, which will prove to challenge A&M’s offensive line and true sophomore quarterback Conner Weighman.