Opponents to Watch: Wyoming

Elisabeth Dillon
Cornerback Eryon Barnett tackling Jalen Claiborne during Texas’ game against Wyoming on September 1, 2012.

The Wyoming Cowboys took down then-ranked No. 24 Texas Tech in a thrilling double overtime week one win. Before strolling into Darrell K. Royal Texas Memorial Stadium for a week three match up with the Longhorns, they also defeated Portland State. Key players are all over the field for the Cowboys, and here’s who Texas fans should keep their eye on this Saturday.

Andrew Peasley 

Leading the Cowboy’s offense is senior quarterback Andrew Peasley. Peasley threw for over 200 yards and three touchdowns in their win against Portland State. Versus the Red Raiders, Peasley went for two touchdowns and 149 yards. Although the Longhorns went on the road and beat Jalen Milroe, the burnt orange defense will face a much more experienced quarterback. Experience at the quarterback position means a player who knows what to do in stressful situations and how to keep his team executing at a high level. Pressure from the Longhorn defensive front and suffocating coverage from the secondary could make Peasley’s night a long one. 

Sam Scott

In both games, Peasley was one of the top two leading rushers for the Cowboys. His tandem partner is sophomore Sam Scott, who has totaled 114 yards so far in 2023. In the game versus Texas Tech, Scott found the endzone during regulation time and had the winning two-point conversion. However, Scott’s starts to his 2023 campaign hasn’t been as stellar as he hoped as he carried the ball 11 times for 70 yards and no score against Portland State. This week could be a continuation of the slow start Scott has had due to Texas’ ability to close running lanes quickly. 

Ayir Asante

If the run doesn’t work, the next logical step is to try and throw the ball. However, the Cowboys have trouble in that part of their offense as well, catching only 18 balls combined amongst the entire receiving core against Texas Tech and 11 against Portland State. That doesn’t mean the air attack of the Cowboys is nonexistent. Last week, junior wide receiver Ayir Asante caught two balls for 78 yards and two touchdowns, with his longest reception being 64 yards, making it the longest touchdown pass for Peasley and longest reception for the program since 2018. If the Longhorns don’t stay vigilant, Peasley and Asante could link up for a huge gain or even a touchdown. 

Wyett Ekeler

On the defensive side of the ball, Wyett Ekeler is a player to key in on when Quinn Ewers and the Longhorns offense takes the field. Roaming the free safety position, Ekeler is a junior who has been with the Cowboys for his entire collegiate career. Against Texas Tech, Ekeler had a bit of a quiet night, contributing to a total of seven tackles. But against Portland State, the junior had six solo tackles, two tackles for loss and an interception. A defensive back who has the game sense to attack the backfield when he deems it necessary is certainly liable to cause problems if not checked.