‘Lies of P’ offers fairy tale take on soulslike genre

Courtesy of NEOWIZ

“Lies of P,” a soulslike game developed by Neowiz Studios (“Skul: The Hero Slayer”) and Round 8 Studio, follows the titular liar Pinocchio as he navigates the dreary city of Krat after puppets rise up and massacre their masters, forcing players to fight to survive and discover what caused the uprising.  

Upon entering the world of “Lies of P,” players might notice the world feels shockingly similar to the game’s main influence, FromSoftware’s “Bloodborne.” From the general European setting, to the game’s UI, old fans of the souls franchise will have no problems understanding what lies ahead. That being said, “Lies of P” makes for no mere clone of its genre forefathers, expertly setting itself apart by adding new ideas to the soulslike formula.

The most evident departure from other soulslike games lies in the project’s combat compared to its predecessors. While “Bloodborne” emphasizes hit-and-run tactics, “Lies” encourages players to adopt an aggressive combat style with its parry mechanic. This unique feature enables players to flawlessly block enemy attacks when timed correctly and even dismantle the enemy’s weapon when used consecutively. Additionally, the dodge mechanic complements this playstyle. Instead of a rolling mechanic familiar to “Dark Souls” fans, “Lies of P” favors quick steps in and out of combat. These steps serve not only as an escape maneuver but also as a means to stay close to the target, maintaining a fluid tempo.

The weapons system marks another unique choice among soulslikes. Somewhat similar to “Bloodborne’s” transforming weapons mechanic, “Lies of P” offers players the “Handles” system where each weapon separates into the blade and the handle, allowing players to swap between them and create custom weapons. This change makes for a welcome surprise and can drastically alter combat. Blades that previously lacked reach can be fitted to a spear handle and turned into a longer range weapon. Likewise, heavy blades that take a significant time to swing can be fitted to a knife handle, drastically increasing swing speed. With 29 sets of weapons and handles, the system offers an extremely diverse approach to combat. 

The game’s setting also possesses distinctive elements that set it apart. While it may initially appear to be a clone of “Bloodborne’s” Eurocentric design, “Lies of P” distinguishes itself through vibrant colors and warm lighting. This departure from “Bloodborne’s” lovecraftian horror infuses the game with an almost fairy-tale-like quality, reminding players of the fable that inspired the game.

While “Lies of P” may seem extremely derivative, it seizes every opportunity to differentiate itself and stands as an excellent addition to the soulslike genre.

9 blue fairies out of 10