5 easy, delicious desserts to bake this fall

Elizabeth Aguilar-Garcia

Despite the weather topping 90 degrees on most days, baking helps the autumn vibes flow even in the hot Texas temperatures. To heighten the fall atmosphere around campus, the Daily Texan compiled a list of the five best fall desserts to bake this autumn.

Pumpkin Bread

No food screams fall more than pumpkins, so, of course, pumpkin bread tops this list. Using pumpkin puree from a can or from a carving endeavor gone wrong works to whip up this delicious dessert. As an easy one-bowl recipe full of spices, sugar and optional chocolate chips, a batch baked over the weekend lasts the whole week. 

Apple Pie

Apple pie, a classic autumn dessert, combines the perfect balance of cinnamon spice, crisp granny smith apples and sugar necessary for a satisfying sweet treat. Whether plucked right off the branch or selected from the grocery store, peeled apples earn the starring role in the pie, closely supported by a flaky homemade or store bought crust. Whether two slits adorn the top or an intricate lattice weaves the dough, when served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, fall shines bright with every bite.

Chai Sugar Cookies

Chai sugar cookies embody spicy autumn flavors mixed with a sweet nutmeg glaze to cure every late-night cookie craving. Their crunchy outsides encase a soft, chewy center that makes anyone’s mouth water. Bake a batch to keep for the week or whip them up at midnight as a treat after a long study session. Swifties can even check out Taylor Swift’s well-known cookie recipe for Chai Sugar Cookies (Taylor’s Version). 

Cinnamon Rolls

Waking up to the smell of cinnamon rolls creates a cozy fall atmosphere like no other. Simple ingredients such as flour, sugar, milk and butter create the dough, and making and rolling it ahead of time allows for easy freezing. Pop a bun in the oven before getting ready for the day, frost it, and end up with a sweet, warm roll to eat on the walk to class or for a sweet treat after dinner. 

Orange Cranberry Scones

While orange may seem like a summery citrus flavor, when paired with cranberries, its autumnal roots shine through. These two fruits complement each other perfectly to sweeten this delicious fall dessert. As another one-bowl recipe, these light, buttery scones make for the perfect addition to a breakfast latte or for hosting a brunch with friends. Preparation includes a few hours in the fridge, so make them the night before and enjoy them in the morning.