Liveshot: Thee Sacred Souls bring their sweet soul sound to ACL

William Whitworth
Thee Sacred Souls performing at the Honda Stage at Austin City Limits on October 6, 2023.

Love imbued the air as Thee Sacred Souls brought a mix of 60s soul and 70s groove back to Austin.

In orange-tinted sunglasses, collared button-ups and high-waisted slacks, the trio opened their ACL performance with “Overflowing,” allowing lead singer Josh Lane to swoon the audience with his buttery-smooth vocals. After a quick anecdote about second chances, the trio eased into “Lady Love,” all the while backup singers swayed to drummer Alex Garcia’s steady beat.

Although associated with intimate performances, the trio undeniably enjoyed their open venue. As he approached the chorus of “Will I See You Again?” Lane hopped onto a speaker and jumped off the stage, touching both the hands and hearts of the trio’s adoring audience. Despite the physical separation, the trio maintained their smooth synergy, blending into the later half of their performance.

Leaning into his casual, jam-like performance persona, Lane welcomed the trio’s traveling brass to the stage, completing the band’s headcount. The trumpet, trombone and saxophone players balanced out Lane’s velvety voice with their crisp harmonies, making for the perfect mix of gentle soul and bright accompaniment. 

The crowd jammed along as the trio moved into their latest release, “Running.” Lane then took the crowd by surprise, jumping off the stage again and embodying the song’s name by running into the crowd. The audience cheered as he dashed through, making his way back onto the stage in time for one last song.

Before he started singing, Lane turned to the audience, seemingly unfazed by all the cardio he’d done throughout the performance. He took off the red, 70s-inspired sunglasses he wore, pointed out that the trees around Zilker see no difference between people and “are a part of the energy” and launched into hit single “Can I Call You Rose?” ending the performance on a sweet note.