Austin City Council approves resolution to postpone I-35 funding

Emma George

On Oct. 19, the Austin City Council approved a resolution asking the Texas Department of Transportation and the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization to delay funding for the expansion of Interstate 35 due to two ongoing environmental studies. 

The council proved that the I-35 project would increase greenhouse gas emissions, despite what TxDOT’s final environmental impact statement and record of decision said. The two studies, the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization Regional Mobile Emission Reduction Plan and the Austin Metropolitan Statistical Area Climate Plan, aim to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions in the region to offset the potential impacts of the I-35 project.

“I just wanted to make sure that we had an opportunity to have TxDOT look at the information that is going to be coming out of those emission reduction plans,” said Mayor Pro Tem Paige Ellis, representative of District 8 and resolution author. 

TxDOT denied the council’s request on Oct. 19, calling it “disappointing” and fiscally irresponsible in a news release

“This is a long overdue project designed with the community and for the community,” said Tucker Ferguson, TxDOT Austin district engineer, in the release. “Today’s resolution to delay by the Austin City Council is not indicative of the partnership TxDOT has cultivated with the city.”

The resolution passed by a 7-3 vote. Mayor Kirk Watson and council members Leslie Pool and Mackenzie Kelly voted against the resolution due to concerns that TxDOT and CAMPO would pull their funding for the project if there were any further delays.

“Austinites overwhelmingly want and deserve to see changes to I-35 now,” said Jeff Howard, current board member and mobility chair for the Downtown Austin Alliance. “Delay has the potential to cause damage to the funding process and to our partnership with the state on this and other mobility projects.”