New RipStick Hockey club aims to grow sport, community

Ana Campos

On the crosswalk next to the Moody College of Communication, an abundance of fliers ranging from places to work, listen to music and organizations to join adorn the sidewalk. One of those fliers offers information on @riphockeyatx on Instagram, a new group trying to grow a new sport: RipStik hockey. 

A non-contact hockey game played on RipStiks, a two-wheeled self-propelled board ridden like a skateboard, players participate in RipStik hockey on a basketball court, with rules similar to classic hockey, just with added variations.

“Everyone’s hanging out and having fun,” said Jon Parker, founder and team captain of RipStik Hockey. “It’s a goofy, good time.”

Parker started playing the unique sport with his friends for fun, eventually deciding to bring RipStik hockey to a larger audience earlier this summer.

“There was a moment in my life recently where I was trying to live whimsically and have more youthful, fun recreational experiences like I used to,” Parker said. “I could just play street hockey with people and it would be just as fun, but I wanted to do it on RipStiks.”

The first game will be conducted on Nov. 8 at Eastwoods Park, where RipStik Hockey aims to play weekly Wednesday games. The games are self-run by players, and the rules are fluid in consideration of new players and changing dynamics. Anyone interested in RipStik Hockey can join, whether or not they understand the rules of hockey. 

“Even if you don’t know what it is, we don’t know what it is either,” said Will Diamond, a founding member of RipStik Hockey. “If you have some ideas, or it just seems like something interesting, come on by.”

All skill levels are welcome to join, and equipment can be borrowed. The equipment required to play RipStik hockey includes a RipStik, a hockey stick and one black and one white shirt for teams. Helmets, elbow pads and gloves are recommended for those who are just starting.

“If the fact is that people want to play but they don’t have the stuff, I will go buy a RipStik because I’m dedicated,” Parker said. 

Although he doesn’t plan on playing, radio-television-film sophomore Kevin Kopp manages media for RipStik Hockey’s Instagram account. He found the group through fliers posted on the crosswalk outside of The G. B. Dealy Center for New Media. 

“I can see it getting big in the future,” Kopp said. “UT and Austin in general are welcoming to new ideas.”

Parker said that he hopes to see RipStik Hockey grow to have teams and create a league, as opposed to the drop-in style it has right now. 

“I would love to see this grow and become something that the community embraces, and people can come to enjoy (RipStik Hockey) the same way (Parker) and I have already enjoyed it,” Diamond said.