Texas Soccer defeats Texas Tech, advances to Big 12 finals

Courtesy of Texas Athletics

The last time first-seed Texas Tech played in Austin, a last-second goal gave the Red Raiders the win, but this time, despite last-minute efforts, junior Texas goalkeeper Mia Justus maintained a clean sheet to stop the Big 12 regular season champions from advancing in the tournament.

“In our game, it can be a cruel and vicious game,” head coach Angela Kelly said. “The first match was our errors, and going forward that match made us better. We are a different team than we were on Sept. 21, and I think our team showed that today.”

Season top-scoring juniors Trinity Byars and Lexi Missimo both got close to scoring in the first half, but the Big 12 Goalkeeper of the Year Madison White was able to stop both attempts.

“Trinity is an elite player,” Kelly said. “Her and Lexi together are just really, really hard to contain.”

After a scoreless first 45 minutes, senior defender Lauren Lapomarda’s assist got Byars through the Red Raider defense to find the back of the net four minutes into the second half. 

“(Lapomarda) played a ball that got through several defenders,” Byars said. “I saw an open space and started dribbling. There was an open shot, so I took it. Luckily, I made it.”

Byars’ 46th career goal tied her with Hall of Honor member Kelly McDonald Freeman for top scorer in program history.

“I feel there’s always room to grow,” Byars said. “I felt pretty good today, but there’s still so much left to be done.”

Texas hasn’t won a Big 12 tournament since its back-to-back victories in 2006 and 2007, and the current team has a chance to leave a mark on the conference ahead of the SEC move by earning the third star.

“We aren’t done,” Justus said. “We can’t be happy yet. Today was a good accomplishment for the team, but we aren’t done.”

Texas will face BYU in the decisive match on Nov. 4.

“I’m just excited to make it to the championship match,” Byars said. “We feel good. We feel prepared and ready to get after it.”