Associate Managing Editor roaches off your food one last time

Lorianne Willett

Finally, I’m free.

I remember telling myself:

“I’m quitting the Texan after my third semester as a senior news reporter.”

That turned to: “I’m quitting the Texan after I become news desk editor.” 

And then that turned to: “I’m quitting the Texan after I become associate news editor.”

After what feels like an eternity of telling myself I’m definitely quitting the Texan after this semester, I’m now here as the associate managing editor. And through my time as AME, man, it’s going to be hard to say goodbye to this paper.

Maybe it’s Stockholm syndrome I’m feeling. Maybe it’s because I’m scared to leave an organization that made my college and journalism career. Maybe it’s because I’m going to miss everyone who made my time at the Texan so special.

The Texan is a place for wannabe journalists, for people to learn and grow, for people to find their footing in college and a place for people to make memories at — please do not mention the pool incident to me. 

My last semester at the Texan will hold a special place in my heart. It’s truly when I felt “in” at the Texan, whether that’s a good or bad thing, who knows (it’s both). 

Anyway, let’s do the generic thank yous to everyone I have not talked to in a while because I’m bad at maintaining relationships. 

To AAJA:

Shez, Fiza, Michael, Mirya, Kaushiki, Angela, Julius, Dilen, Teresa, Juleanna, Nathan and others I’m too lazy to type the names of, thanks for giving me a community of journalists I could actually stand. I enjoyed the late-night hangouts and funny, silly, goofy sessions.

To the people in the basement during production nights:

Carla, Sara, Lorianne, Mimi, Christina, Leila, Kate, Amelia, Sascha, Chloe, Trinity, the designers I totally remember the names of and many more. Thank you for making production night not hell. Thank you for the last-minute dinner runs, the generous leftovers I forced you to hand over and making my time at the Texan feel like home. 

To all my mentees:

Aaron, Miriam, Henry, Tess, Beomjun, Perla, Rob, Ylver, and (ironically) Morgan. I don’t know where life will take all of you. I don’t know if y’all want to continue journalism. But I know that you guys will do amazing things in life. I know that because I mentored y’all. And if I mentored y’all, you will be fine. 

Peter:

Thank you for guiding us. You used to scare me, and you still do. I remember the first “good” I got from your critiques, and then the subsequent “goods” I got for a while longer. It felt like a badge of honor.

Breigh and Morgan:

I was scared coming in as AME. But you guys have helped and made the transition from some ANE to AME smoothly. I’m proud of the work that we did. You guys made production a time I look forward to. I will miss you guys, I’ll try my best not to ghost y’all. And Breigh, you will be an amazing ME, I just know it. 

To all my news editors I worked under and with:

Emily Hernandez, Lauren Girgis and Neelam Bohra, thank you for taking in this confused freshman as your general news reporter. Thank you for teaching and guiding him along this confusing path. I learned so much from y’all. I’m sorry for leaving the parties early, I wished I had stayed for longer. 

Brooke, Skye, Anna, Hannah, Tori, Hope and Samantha, it’s finally over, I’m done. 

To everyone I mentioned, please reach out to me because I will forget to reach out to you.