Copy editor wonders what normal college students do on Thursday nights

Reagan Bohman

Copy editors are trained to pay attention to the details. We spend hours going down research rabbit holes to perfect the things that most people would overlook (until they’re wrong, of course). But I apply this attention to detail not only to the articles I edit, but also the delicate mosaic of moving parts making this paper happen. The rolling chairs in the basement that let me bother anyone in sight, the smiles I’m met with when I have a question, the hand-decorated paper plate awards — none of it goes unnoticed. It’s the details that make this place so wonderful, and I owe it to the Copy Desk for allowing me to notice each of them.

As a freshman in high school, I visited the Texan basement with my journalism class. Fast forward six years later, I have now made so many meaningful memories and connections in that room. It kind of feels like the invisible string, something led me down that sketchy staircase and into this community. There are too many people to thank. Mantra, it’s hard to write just a sentence when you’ve had a novel of impact on me. You are the reason I feel so at home in the basement. Kamryn, you will always be the queen of copy, and I am so honored to be your second-in-command.

The copy department will always feel like home to me. Phoebe, thank you for taking a chance on me as a first-semester freshman and kickstarting this passion. Chloe, when I led my first night of production, I wanted to do it just like you. Sara D., Amelia and Areebah, I am so proud of the leaders that y’all are, and I think each of you could take over the world if you wanted to. Everyone in this department is smart, diligent and kind, and I will take the lessons I’ve learned here with me for the rest of my life.

My final semester here was undoubtedly my favorite, which only makes leaving more difficult. As I say goodbye to double-headers of The Golden Bachelor and Thursday Night Football, I must also say thank you to the people who made this semester such a perfect ending. Morgan, you are an excellent and genuine leader, and I always feel safe asking you questions. Breigh, I am so impressed by your intelligence, and I also just love gossiping with you. Kevin, I’ll miss the joy that you bring to the basement (and my free $5 each week). I’ve also had the chance to work closely with design, and I am so amazed by the entire department. Kirti and Sara K., y’all make production nights so much more fun and make me feel unconditionally welcomed. Christina and Emma, thank you for welcoming me into the sports arena for my last semester. I had a blast working on double coverage, and I love knowing way too much about our football team.

My last thank you is for Peter. You give us both the grit and encouragement that it takes to work in journalism.

I have worked at the Texan for as long as I’ve been a college student, and I am so grateful that my hours have poured into something so meaningful. And to all my friends outside the Texan, maybe I’ll finally be able to go out on a Thursday!