Films by Texas filmmakers to look out for during SXSW

Analise Pickerrell

Content warning: mention of sexual assault.

As the Lone Star State sets to put on its annual festival of various media, the mass of talent can drown out the works of Texas filmmakers. To highlight the brilliant stories coming from the festival’s home territory, The Daily Texan compiled a list of films by Texas filmmakers screening at South by Southwest. 

The In Between

Competing in the Documentary Feature Competition at the festival, “The In Between” follows director Robie Flores as she returns to her hometown Eagle Pass located on the Texas/Mexico border.  Accompanied by grief after the loss of her brother, Flores finds herself reminiscing. Flores connects the in-between feeling of living on the borderland with the aftermath of grief to create a beautiful coming-of-age story. The film will screen on March 9, 11 and 15 at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema on South Lamar. 

The Passing” 

Ivete Lucas and Patrick Bresnan will present their film “The Passing” as a part of the Texas Short Competition. This documentary short tells the story of Dr. Michael Mullen, a Texas veterinarian who makes home visits, holding his clients’ hands through the ups and downs of pet parenthood. When Mullen’s neighbor, Cindy, must put down her beloved dog Fiona, Mullen guides the two through his most heart-breaking home call. The film will screen on March 8 and 11 at the Rollins Theatre at The Long Center. 

Beeps

Kirk Johnson, part of the Texas filmmaking duo Beef & Sage, will present his short film “Beeps” during the Texas Short Competition on March 8 and 11 at the Rollins Theatre at The Long Center. Directing solo this time, Johnson’s film follows Sam, sleep-deprived from the incessant chirp of a smoke alarm on low-battery, searching for the beep. On his journey, he encounters various truths about his identity and his neighbors. 

The Queen vs Texas

“The Queen vs Texas” follows a queer activist, Hermajestie the Hung, creating and hosting a BIPOC drag show “Vanguard: The Drag Revolution,” in the midst of Texas’ increased targeting of queer communities through anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation. Hermajestie’s story highlights both the oppressive systems robbing queer folks of human rights and the necessity of safe spaces to combat these systems. Emil Lozada and Raemonn James will present their film for the Texas Short Competition on March 8 and 11 at the Rollins Theatre at The Long Center. 

An Army of Women” 

Competing in the Documentary Feature Competition, Julie Lunde Lillesæter’s “An Army of Women” aims to hold the police and lawmakers accountable for their lack of care towards sexual assault. When Austin police dismiss three women’s sexual violence cases, the women file a federal class-action lawsuit, asserting that this country does not take this violence seriously due to its tie to women. The film will screen on March 8, 12 and 15 at ZACH Theatre, Rollins Theatre at the Long Center and Satellite Venue, respectively.