Texas women’s basketball departing seniors Khadija Faye, Shaylee Gonzales leave a lasting legacy on program

Lorianne Willett
Guard Shaylee Gonzales during Texas’ game against Cincinnati on Jan. 27. The Horns won 67-50.

Teary-eyed after watching tribute videos on the big screen at the Moody Center, senior Khadija Faye and graduate Shaylee Gonzales received a standing ovation as they were honored for their time at Texas.

“Definitely shed a few tears during those videos,” Gonzales said. “They put those together very well. (I’m) super grateful for that and having our family and friends here was awesome.”

Gonzales was introduced to the game of basketball by her parents who were both coaches, and she started playing at five years old. The guard born in Arizona transferred from BYU to Texas in 2022 and has started every game for the Longhorns since.

“I thought I had dreams growing up for myself,” Gonzales’ dad Josh Gonzales said in a video posted on X. “But to see my children accomplish dreams of their own that are above and beyond what I dreamt of is just truly amazing.”

Nicknamed the “team grandma” by her teammates for being the oldest player on the team, in her sixth year of collegiate basketball, Gonzales used her experience to help out younger players succeed. 

“As a basketball player I think Shaylee’s just really crafty and smart,” sophomore guard Sarah Graves said in a video posted on X. “She has a really high basketball IQ which helps our team. I think she just has a good understanding of where she’s supposed to be on the floor and where everyone else is supposed to be on the floor.”

Gonzales’ parents, siblings and grandparents were present at the game to honor her.

“Her parents are here and they are so supportive, they love her dearly,” head coach Vic Schaefer said. “I see that bond that they have, it’s so special.

On the other hand, Faye’s family could not be present. At just 14 years old, Faye left her hometown, Dakar, Senega. Eight years later, she makes her family proud across the ocean. 

Like Gonzales, Faye transferred to Texas in 2022 after two seasons with Texas Tech. In her first season at Texas, she played in all 36 games and had 27 starts, registering five double-doubles. 

Faye is highly praised by her teammates, who emphasize good energy and hard work.

“She puts her all into what she does on the court,” freshman center Tionna Herron said in a video posted on X. “She doesn’t wanna mess up, she always wants to do the right thing and help her teammates.”

Both Faye and Gonzales won The Big 12 Championship their first year at Texas, and are looking for even greater success this postseason. Gonzales earned an All-Conference Honorable Mention in the 2023-24 season and was named Newcomer of the Year in 2023. 

“They’re gonna be so good,” Schaefer said. “They’re gonna be so successful in life, and I know they’re gonna be great Longhorns.”