Blanton resources to experience before graduation

Analise Pickerrell

As students trickle back to campus from spring break, many seniors get lost in familiar academic routines that distract from the array of resources available on the Forty Acres, such as the Blanton Museum of Art. From its unique study spot under the canopy of petals to its impressive collection of archived and exhibited works, the Blanton offers various opportunities for artistic inspiration. To help students make the most of the museum before graduation, The Daily Texan compiled a list of resources offered by the Blanton.

The H-E-B Study Room

Within the Julia Matthews Wilkinson Center for Prints and Drawings sits the H-E-B Study Room for students, faculty, collectors and museum visitors to study and enjoy the Blanton’s paper works. Available for viewing by appointment, these archived pieces consist of nearly 18,000 prints and drawings dating as far back as the fifteenth century. Whether to inquire about a particular collection of works for a class or satisfy artistic inquisition, the study center provides visitors with a tailored artistic experience.

Blanton Collection Highlights

With the largest public collection of works in Central Texas, the Blanton can only exhibit so many of their works at once, and students cannot feasibly book an appointment for the H-E-B Study Room weeks in advance when racing to complete an assignment. However, with the museum’s digitized versions of most of their acquired works, Blanton Collection Highlights offers public access to anyone interested in browsing. With the ability to sort by artist, type, classification, collection or date, this versatile resource proves helpful in perusing through the Blanton’s collection of over 21,000 objects.

Recurring Events

In addition to the museum’s rich collection of works, the Blanton offers several events that encourage community through art. While their recurring events like Second Saturdays, B Scene and Blanton Live require admission fees, ranging from $20 to $40 for adults, the events provide social and educational opportunities to anyone interested in fostering a closer relationship with art.

Current Exhibitions

The Blanton’s main galleries sprawl throughout the open space of the Michener Gallery building. Its permanent collection sits on the top floor, showcasing works from across the world ranging from 800 BCE to the present. Alongside permanent exhibitions, the Blanton also features independent artists’ works, exhibitions from out-of-state and curated gallery features, offering a continuously new environment for visitors to explore.