No. 7 Texas women’s tennis falls to Oklahoma State in a tight match

Redshirt+sophomore+Vivian+Ovrootsky+hits+the+ball+during+the+match+against+OSU+player+Ayumi+Miyamo+on+Friday.+Ovrootsky+won+the+match+in+two+sets.+
Charlie Partheymuller
Redshirt sophomore Vivian Ovrootsky hits the ball during the match against OSU player Ayumi Miyamo on Friday. Ovrootsky won the match in two sets.

Texas women’s tennis fell 4-3 in a tight match that came down to the last set against No. 1 Oklahoma State in Austin on Friday afternoon. 

Both the Longhorns and Cowgirls entered today’s match undefeated in Big 12 play, but OSU ultimately came out on top. Texas’ record moved to 5-1 in conference play and 12-4 overall.  

While head coach Howard Joffe says this isn’t something the team discussed, the players all wanted the win today. 

“The players are inherently very competitive. … It’s very disappointing for the players, they’re disappointed because we were terribly close.” Joffe said. 

The Longhorns took the doubles point in a back-and-forth battle with the Cowgirls, with senior Taisiya Pachkaleva and freshman Shachf Lieberman defeating graduate students Safiya Carrington and Kristina Novak 6-2. Senior Malaika Rapolu and graduate Tanya Sasnouskaya took down redshirt sophomore Anastasiya Komar and junior Ange Oby Kajuru 6-4. 

OSU shifted its momentum and took three sets against Lieberman, Rapolu and Pachkaleva, while Texas redshirt sophomore Vivian Ovrootsky came out on top of Ayumi Miyamoto in two sets, going 7-5, 6-2. 

The remaining singles play came down to Sasnouskaya versus Komar and senior Charlotte Chavatipon v. sophomore Lucia Peyre. As their play heated up, so did the energy from the crowd.

This isn’t the first time Chavatipon and Peyre have met. Last March, Chavatipon defeated Peyre 6-4, 7-5. The two women battled in intense sets, with Chavatipon controlling the first. She began to close on Peyre, with strong serves and fierce returns, eventually taking the set 6-2. 

“I didn’t put so much importance that I have to win, or you get into a lock,” Chavatipon said. “But, I came in with a game plan.” 

With the game tied 3-3, it came down to Sasnouskaya and Komar. “Texas fight” chants led by players echoed through Texas Tennis Center as the crowd responded, trying to fire up Sasnouskaya. 

The women battled in three fierce sets, as Komar took the first 6-2, and Sasnouskaya won the second 6-3. Despite Sasnouskaya’s strong efforts, the last set began to turn in Komar’s favor. As both teams lined up watching their teammates play, Komar and Sasnouskaya fought back and forth, but ultimately Komar came out on top 6-4. 

OSU improves its record to 18–0 and remains undefeated 7–0 in Big 12 play. 

The Longhorns will face Kansas State on Sunday morning at home, with hopes of bouncing back against another Big 12 opponent. 

“We’re going to channel whatever we have. …They have a hungry team coming after them,” Chavatipon said.