No. 3/2 Texas softball battles in a 4-2 win against UCF

Skyler Sharp
Freshman pitcher Teagan Kavan smiles after the Longhorns won against Northwestern State University on March 1, 2024.

Despite fans cheering “U-C-F” loudly in the background, No. 3/2 Texas softball held on to a close game, winning 4-2 in the second game of its three game series against the University of Central Florida.

The game was uneventful until the fifth inning, entirely due to the excellent pitching from both sides and defensive plays that stopped momentum from shifting to either team. 

For Texas, sophomore pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez threw for four innings, striking out two batters and only allowing one hit before the fifth inning.  

While the Texas defense was able to hold down UCF and prevent it from building momentum with the home crowd on their side, the Texas offense struggled to get on base. 

Hitting against UCF senior pitcher Sarah Willis, the unanimous 2023 American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Year selection, Texas was held hitless until the fifth inning. 

However, as both pitchers started to get tired, both teams were able to capitalize and score runs. 

It all started with a base hit by junior catcher Katie Cimusz. Texas coaches deliberated and decided to put in freshman outfielder Adayah Wallace to run for Cimusz. 

And run is what Wallace did. 

Wallace and her speed turned a double from sophomore shortstop Viviana Martinez into an opportunity to score the first run of the game. 

“Coach (Steve Singleton) had the idea of (having Wallace pinch run for Cimusz in the fifth inning) and I was something I was thinking about as well,” head coach Mike White said. “It was getting late in the game, and you only have so many opportunities to bring someone in and it was a good call in the end and, of course, a great hit to be able to score that run from first base.”

Similar to the game the night before, UCF issued a challenge, saying that Wallace left the base early. But after a short review, the ruling on the field stood. 

Martinez was able to make her way around the bases to score after two base hits by redshirt sophomore outfielder Ashton Maloney and sophomore utility player Leighann Goode. 

UCF was ready to strike back. With mistakes from Texas’ defense, they were able to score two runs and tie the game. 

But the Longhorns weren’t done fighting to win. 

In the top of the sixth inning, UCF intentionally walked junior utility Mia Scott, preventing an opportunity for her to hit the ball out of the park. However, in doing so, UCF put one of Texas’ fastest players on base. 

Similar to the previous inning, a double, this time off the bat of senior infielder Joley Mitchell, brought Scott around to score. Mitchell was also able to make it home to bring the final score to 4-2. 

The Longhorns face off against the Knights in Orlando for the last game in the series tomorrow at 11 a.m. CT.