Fans, special guests brought life to Moody Center in first 2 rounds of NCAA Tournament

Skyler Sharp
The Texas Hellraisers shout “Texas Fight” during the 4th quarter of Texas’ game against Alabama on Sunday. The Longhorns defeated the Crimson Tide 65-54, to advance to the Sweet Sixteen.

A mix of special players and fans kept Texas women’s basketball dancing. The top seeded team defeated Drexel and Alabama at home and is now moving on to the Sweet 16 in Portland, where the Longhorns will face the winner of No. 5 Utah versus No. 4 Gonzaga.

“What an incredible atmosphere for our game, for women’s basketball,” Texas Head Coach Vic Schaefer said. “When we came here four years ago, part of building a program is your fan base and it was not good when we started. To see that atmosphere for these kids today, I just think everybody walks out of the arena today talking about these kids and how hard they play.”

Over 9,700 people were present at the Alabama game and over 7,000 watched the dominating 82-42 win over Drexel. Students got in for free thanks to donations from Texas Football assistant director of player development, Michael Huff. 

“It was a lot of fun,” Alabama senior guard Sarah Ashlee Barker said. “You want to play in atmospheres that are packed and rowdy and they’re cheering. I like to play against crowds that are cheering against me sometimes.”

Alabama Head Coach Kristy Curry praised the city of Austin and UT for its hospitality and support for the sport.

“It’s been an incredible, classy, wonderful student-athlete and coach experience,” Curry said. “Thank you for your love and encouragement of women’s basketball. To see this room packed the way it is and to see where our game’s going, I just appreciate everyone.”

Barker shouted out Texas freshman forward Madison Booker for being one of the big names in women’s basketball in her first year of collegiate play and said her talent is important to show young girls they can go and do big things.

The freshman has been the big name of the 2023-2024 season. Replacing junior Rori Harmon in the point guard position after her season-ending ACL injury in December, Booker has shown she can thrive even outside of her comfort zone. Her NCAA Tournament debut was no different.

Schaefer has described her as “unselfish to a fault” and she proved it in the first round game against Drexel. Booker had 14 assists against the Dragons, the most of any Texas women’s basketball player in the tournament’s history. 

In the second round game against Alabama, Booker only had two assists, but tallied 21 points. Combined with junior forward Aaliyah Moore, who had a double-double in the game, the two had 42 out of the 65 points scored.

Booker sported the number 35 in honor of Kevin Durant, the former Texas player and NBA star, who also came to watch the game.

“Think about it y’all, that guy can be anywhere, it’s his day off,” Schaefer said. “And he chooses to come here and support our kids. That says a lot about an individual like that. … Booker played very well wearing his number, so hopefully by the time she leaves here it’ll be her number too.”