Young auctioneer continues family legacy

Julia McHugh

Luke Lange stood on the auction block above hundreds of people eagerly holding signs with their numbers. Lange chanted numbers into the mic with an astonishing and breathless speed, selling cars by the second.  

From skipping school lunches to practice his auctioneering skills to becoming one of the most successful young auctioneers in Texas, business freshman Luke Lange’s career in this niche field started at home. He began auctioneering at age 16, developing a passion for the trade after being exposed to his dad’s company, America’s Auto Auction.

“I started going out to auctions when I was a super young kid and growing up in the auto auction industry, I enjoyed (auctions) a lot,” Lange said. 

During high school, Lange had the opportunity to start working at the auctions, eventually earning his license through the state of Texas, which is required for all auctioneers. 

“When I first started I was probably the youngest automobile auctioneer in the country,” Lange said. “What’s funny is for liability, you have to be 18 years old to attend an auto auction and I was 16 up on the auction block selling cars.”    

Lange would take his school lunch break to auctioneer on Tuesdays and Thursdays, then return to class. He said he started auctioning on a weekly basis, trying to average 100 cars per hour on a typical day. 

“The first time or two you’re up there your heart is beating really fast, but now I can wake up and five minutes later go and (auctioneer) and not be worried,” Lange said. 

Lange taught himself over time by watching tapes of other auctioneers. He said driving in the car proves the best time to practice out loud, but his various mentors showed him the ins and outs of the business. 

“One of the things that made me a good auctioneer is that I had such a good mentor,” Lange said. 

Lange said Andy Dunning, president of Dealers Auction Xchange acted as a significant mentor to him.  

“(Lange) would come to me for advice and he’s like a sponge,” Dunning said. “He’s so well-spoken and very good in front of people and that’s been his growth. Watching (his) progression (has) been great.”   

Lange said he now auctioneers both car auctions and benefit auctions but can do anything. As a contract auctioneer, someone hired by different auctioneering companies, Lange has raised millions of dollars for different charities through benefit auctions.    

“He’s a great kid, has high standards and high morals,” Clay Cooley, owner of Clay Cooley Auto Group said. “The more you (auction), the better you get, and (Lange) knows that.”     

The Texas Auctioneers Association hosts a contest every year where auctioneers compete for the state champion title. Lange said he competed in the championship the past two years as the youngest competitor, placing in both the rookie and professional categories each year.      

“The people that make up the auction industry are a great group of individuals, so it’s more of a community than anything,” Lange said. “I get to hang out, work and have fun, so it’s something I enjoy doing.”