Life&Arts Editor is excited to go back to using passive voice and dead verbs

Lorianne Willett

I stumbled my way up The Daily Texan’s ladder. I wiggled my way into LARTS and Copy the summer after my sophomore year at the encouragement of a friend. Coming from a high school with no newspaper, I didn’t have any journalism experience, but I did (and still do) have a massive obsession with Hot Ones, that chicken wing interview show on YouTube. I wanted to be like Sean Evans, receiving compliments for the depth of my research and the craft of my questions, so I applied to be a senior reporter.  

I quickly learned that we do a different type of journalism than they do on Hot Ones and I had to pivot my approach to question writing, but I did maintain my love of interviewing and hearing peoples’ stories. After a semester of writing two articles a week beat me to a pulp, I decided to try editing, and that is where I found my rhythm. I discovered my inclination for revising others’ work rather than struggling to write my own, a knack I didn’t know existed until the Texan.

Four years ago, I started at UT as a psychology major with no bylines and no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I never would have guessed that I would get paid (very little) to attend music and film festivals where acclaimed singers and actors would be some of the people I’d get the opportunity to speak to. To take a well-word adage from my mom: “Everything happens the way it’s supposed to happen.” I didn’t believe it the first time she said it to me and dismissed it as a generic piece of advice, but now it becomes more and more true every day. 

After joining the Texan, my world cracked wide open with possibility. In May, I’ll graduate with Honors from the Rhetoric and Writing department, a minor in Journalism and Media and two years of writing and editing under my belt. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life, but I know that all the people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve gained will serve my journey. To take an equally well-word adage from my dad, “Some of us work for a living,” so now I’m off to do just that. 

For my thank you’s, firstly to Reya who took the biggest chance on me by letting me into our department in the first place. I wouldn’t be here without you. To Angela for letting me have a panic attack at you while filling out the South by Southwest press applications. To Sage for trusting me with our department. To Trisha, Katie, Logan, Minza and Amelia for being THE BEST team of editors I could ever ask for and an even better group of friends. To Ryan for signing us up for all those red carpets and always introducing me as your boss. I get a little taller every time you say it. To all my reporters: It has truly been the biggest joy of my college years to sit around the ping pong table with all of you giving my movie-themed pitch slides. 

To Trinity, Chloe and Lorianne, a trio I only became close to in my time as Editor, for making the basement a place I gravitate toward despite my best efforts. To Peter for always being game for a round of ping pong. To Claire and Stephanie for making this year’s SXSW Film & TV Festival coverage the best it’s ever been. 

To Mom, Dad, Marco, Lily and Neerul. Without all of you, I don’t exist. There aren’t enough words to tell you how much I love you. 

To all the people I named and even more who I didn’t, thank you. Thank you for letting me fail. Thank you for letting me learn. Thank you for letting me grow. I couldn’t have asked for a better team to carry me through it all.