Golden Globes 2014 hits and misses

AddThis

Award show season came to an official start on Sunday night with the 71st Golden Globes. Here are the highs and lows from the evening.

HITS

Comedians Amy Poehler and Tina Fey had a sense of confidence and conduct that made them perfect co-hosts for the second year in a row. 2012's Golden Globes host Ricky Gervais caused controversy with a slew of jokes and jabs directed at celebrities. This year, comedy’s leading ladies toned it down a notch but kept the laughs coming.

There is a reason everyone seems to love Lena Dunham. She’s candid, genuine and relatable. Prior to the show, Dunham stopped by to chat with Ryan Seacrest and reignited our collective fangirl crushes. “If I weren’t here celebrating, I’d be in my pajamas, eating junk food,” Dunham said. Can we join you, Lena? 

The series may be over, but the “Breaking Bad” reign is not.“Breaking Bad” ruled the TV drama series category, receiving Golden Globes for best TV drama as well as best actor for Bryan Cranston. “This is a lovely way to say goodbye to a show that meant a lot to me,” said Cranston as he accepted his award.  

Award season is the perfect time to take a fashion risk and that is exactly what Emma Watson did. The former “Harry Potter” star donned an orange Christian Dior dress that seemed tamed from the front, but the back of the gown certainly was not. The back of Watson’s ensemble featured a low back and pants. Subtle hair and makeup tied together Watson’s look seamlessly. Is there anything she can’t pull off?

The best speech of the night goes to Jared Leto, who won best supporting actor for his role as Rayon in “Dallas Buyer’s Club.” Leto mixed comedy and emotion in his acceptance speech, "that tiny little Brazilian bubble butt was all mine,” he joked before thanking “the Rayons of the world” for their inspiration.

MISSES

Not all outfits can be praised. One celeb that left viewers scratching their heads was George Kotsiopoulos. Kotsiopoulos suited up in a paisley printed coat with a pair of black pants that flooded above his shoes, but weren’t quite short enough to pass as capris.

Teleprompter problems always end up on the miss list. So it’s no surprise that Jonah Hill and Margot Robbie seemed perplexed as they were fed the wrong lines during their presentation. "I'm not going to lie to you. Right now, they put the wrong stuff on the teleprompter," Hill told the audience. Thankfully, though, Hill and Robbie handled the situation like pros.