Women’s diving places two in top eight on day two of diving invitational

AddThis

It took five dives for senior Meghan Houston to finally pull away in the women’s 1-meter finals Friday at the Lee & Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center. She grabbed the lead with a reverse one-and-a-half somersault. The dive scored 54 points to push her past California freshman Phoebe Lamay.

Houston won the title with 315.65 points after trailing Lamay throughout the finals.

“Those first couple of dives weren’t quite my best, but the back one-and-a-half is one of my more reliable dives,” Houston said.

Houston scored 51.75 points on her sixth and final dive — a back one-and-a-half somersault — to secure the victory. This is Houston’s third straight 1-meter victory at the Texas Diving Invitational. She defeated Lamay by just over two points.

“I knew it was pretty close,” Houston said. “I told myself to relax and do that dive like I do in practice, and I knew it was going to be there.”

Freshman Meghan O’Brien placed fifth with 301.85 points. Freshman Sofia Rauzi took ninth with 272.10. In the 3-meter event yesterday, Rauzi placed sixth and Houston placed eighth.

Houston qualified for the Big 12 championships the past two years and has placed in the top 10 in both the 1-meter and 3-meter events. She qualified for the NCAA championships last year in both events.

The women’s platform final caps off the Texas Diving Invitational on Saturday at 10 a.m.