Staying true to up-tempo offensive approach crucial for Longhorns against Sooners

Wrap Up

Everyone knows Oklahoma has plastered Texas the last few seasons in the Red River Rivalry and the Sooners have the talent to do it again this season. With all the talk of Texas possessing one of the most potent stable of rushers in the country, Oklahoma has built a nice arsenal of runners itself. The Sooners are No. 16 in rushing yards per game this season and have found a way to split the load evenly to maintain fresh legs at all times. The Longhorns’ Achilles heel is still its tendency to give up big plays in the rushing game and that cannot happen. It absolutely cannot happen against Oklahoma. If Texas does not wrap up the Sooners ball-carriers, it will be a long evening and another Longhorns loss.

Play Fast

To say the Oklahoma defense has been stellar this season would be an understatement. The Sooners rank No. 6 in points allowed this season, surrendering only 13 points per contest. Texas needs to do whatever it can to wear them down to open up opportunities for big plays. The Longhorns should rely on their running game heavily in this game to force the Oklahoma defense to look out for it on every play. Case McCoy gets another start and will need to wait for his opportunities and not force anything against a great Sooners defense. When the running attack has been established, then the Longhorns can look to go to the air often. The key to this game will be to play fast. After all, that was the offensive plan was coming into the season, right?

Don’t Be Intimidated

It would be easy for the Longhorns to come into this game a bit intimidated after how the last few matchups with Oklahoma have gone. No numbers can give Texas an edge in this rivalry matchup though. Texas just has to come in focused and ready to execute their game plan. It’s very simple: come in with no fear. Otherwise, fans may be in store for another blowout.