The Daily Texan’s playlist to celebrate Earth Day

Hingis Chang

With Earth Day just around the corner, The Daily Texan compiled a playlist to accompany the soothing sounds of nature and get students in the mood to celebrate the beautiful planet. Find a nice, grassy spot to soak up the rays of the spring sunshine and pop on a few of these Earth-Day-inspired tracks.

“What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong

A timeless classic, nothing quite appreciates Mother Earth like these wholesome lyrics sung by Armstrong’s deep, gravelly voice. Use these 2 minutes and 19 seconds to take in the “trees of green, red roses too” and all the beautiful, little details about the world.

“To the Mountains” by Lizzy McAlpine

A supporter of good old-fashioned escapism, McAlpine sings of finding solace “where the air is sweet and new” to a soft, acoustic tune. Take it from her, and use Earth Day as an opportunity to disrupt routine with some nature therapy. 

“Sun is Shining” by Bob Marley and The Wailers

A bad mood can instantly be improved by a sunny day and Bob Marley agrees. Celebrate the sun that rises without fail every morning to warm the planet with the relaxing rhythm and flow of the King of Reggae. 

“Oh, What a World” by Kacey Musgraves

In this country-pop fusion, Musgraves awes over the natural world with this positive turn on existentialism and humanity’s never-ending list of unanswerable questions. With lyrics like “All kinds of magic all around us / It’s hard to believe” and “How we all got here / Nobody knows,” she urges listeners to look beyond the ordinary and find beauty in the mystery.

“Wildflowers” by Tom Petty

A popular song for a wide range of artists to cover, Petty’s comforting lyrics such as “You belong among the wildflowers” and “You belong somewhere you feel free” reflect finding peace in the natural world. The country-esque, light melody reminds listeners that their roots are in the Earth. 

“Mother Nature’s Son” by the Beatles

Primarily written by Paul McCartney, the Beatles’ rendezvous to India inspired this calming, folksy song. Over the acoustic guitar, McCartney sings of “a poor young country boy” who sings songs in various outdoorsy locations: “a field of grass,” “ a mountain stream” or “beneath the sun.”

“Big Yellow Taxi” by Joni Mitchell

Known for its environmental concern, Mitchell wrote this hit song on a trip to Hawaii when she felt a parking lot represented a “blight on paradise.” Lyrics like “Don’t it always seem to go / That you don’t know what you got ‘til it’s gone”’ remind listeners to advocate for the preservation of the planet.