Texas tops OU to remain undefeated

The cold weather outside in Norman only translated to cold shooting for Oklahoma. Texas once again shut down the Sooners 68-52 — a game in which the Longhorns never trailed.

Texas now has not been down in a game for 184 minutes, which dates back to the last time the Longhorns were north of the border in beating Oklahoma State on Jan. 26.

The Sooners’ poor shooting was not contagious, as Texas shot 53 percent from the field.

The Longhorn starters all reached double-digit point totals in combining for all of the team’s points boosting Texas’ win streak to nine games and a 9-0 Big 12 record.

“I thought we competed, they are just better than us,” said Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel.

Jordan Hamilton led the way with 20 points and added nine rebounds in a game in which the outcome was never in doubt.

“These guys do a great job of screening, and Dogus [Balbay] does a great job of finding me out there,” Hamilton said. “I think we’ve just been executing lately and making shots.”

Despite the cold weather in Norman, the Longhorns got off to a hot start making eight of their first 10 field goal attempts and getting off to a quick 17-4 lead.

Balbay scored six of his 12 points during the run, including a rare mid-range jumper from the baseline.
Texas’ margin never sank below double-digits once the lead reached 10 in the first half as they shot 63 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes.

The Longhorns’ defensive lockdown continued against the Sooners. Every Oklahoma shot was contested by Texas, who held the Sooners to 32-percent shooting from the field.

“Our inability to make a shot in the first half and our inability to guard effectively just dug too deep of a hole,” Capel said.

Texas’ success from the field was in large part to the high percentage shots they were getting. Both Cory Joseph and Balbay at times were able to run the length of the court for an easy layup. Tristan Thompson stayed around the rim and had little trouble finding the basket adding 11 points.

Gary Johnson’s mid-range jump shot was also on target as he scored 14.

The 16-point win came despite the Longhorns having 14 turnovers as Texas swept the season series with Oklahoma for the first time since 2007-08.