Men’s Track and Field head to Big 12 Championships

FILEPHOTO_2011-04-11_TexasRelays_SatSun_Corey
Corey Leamon

Texas A&M Javelin thrower Sam Humphreys competes during Texas Relays. After this season, A&M will be heading to the SEC. The Longhorns hope to send them to the conference without a conference championship. (Daily Texan file photo)

The No. 5 Longhorns will prepare to set the track ablaze as they head to the Gilliam Indoor Stadium in College Station for the Big 12 Indoor Track and Field Championships this weekend.

Texas hasn’t won an indoor championship since 2009, and last year’s victor was enduring rival, Texas A&M. Hungry for a title, the men are looking to start the weekend’s competition off to a strong start with Isaac Murphy and Petter Olson in the heptathlon on Friday.

The running events will begin with the mile run, and sixth seeded Patrick McGregor will put the Longhorns in good shape heading into the remainder of the competition.

Junior hurdler Keiron Stewart won the 60-meter indoor title last year with a time of 7.66 seconds and will likely continue the trend this weekend. Marquise Goodwin and D.J. Monroe will battle together in the 60-meter dash, ranked fifth and eighth respectively.

Freshman Sheroid Evans has proved to be a tough competitor in both the 200-meter and 400-meter dash, previously finishing among the top four in the two events at the SPIRE Invitational in Geneva, Ohio.

The distance events appear to be stacked with Longhorn competitors, with ten Texas runners spread throughout. Top seeders include: Kyle Thompson in the 800-meter, Patrick McGregor in the 1000-meter, Ryan Dohner in the 3000-meter and fifth seeded Will Nation in the 5000-meter.

In the field events, Goodwin, Maston Wallace and freshman Ryan Crouser are all ranked first place in their competitions.

Pole vaulter Wallace is entering the meet with a top jump of 17-8.5. Goodwin is the man to beat in the long jump, with a mark of 26’9”. Thrower Ryan Crouser is the current Texas record holder in the shot put with a throw of 66-7.

Other top competitors in these events are vaulter Mark Thomas, jumper Mark Jackson and throwers Jacob Thormaehlen and Hayden Baillio.

Saturday’s action begins at 3 p.m. and includes the last three events of the heptathlon, remaining field events and running event finals.

The Texas men are looking to earn top finishes in as many events possible in preparation for the Last Chance meets March 2-3 that will ultimately determine competitors for the NCAA Indoor Championships.

Printed on Friday, February 24, 2012 as: Texas aims to dethrone No. 3 Aggies