West Campus puts on prelude to South By Southwest

2012-02-24_Space_Crazies_Rebeca
Rebeca Rodriguez

Guitarist Andrew Weber, bassist Jack Pearl, and drummer Davis Campbell are members of Space Crazies, a band that will be playing this Saturday at West By West Campus Music Festival. WXWC is celebrating its third year and will showcase more than 40 bands performing on five different stages.

Deep in the heart of UT Austin’s West Campus neighborhood, there is a locally-based music festival that hopes to introduce newly-converted Austinites and veterans to the city’s home-grown music scene. Celebrating its third year, the annual West By West Campus Music Festival (WXWC), happening this Saturday, prides itself in showcasing some of Austin’s most talented musicians, featuring more than 40 bands performing on five different stages.

“I think it’s awesome that a music festival can happen without being sponsored or taking place in a large venue,” said international relations and global studies sophomore Hunter Tolbert.

Tolbert, who contributes to the KVRX radio station, looks forward to seeing many of the bands performing.

“I’m most excited for SPEAK, and almost all of the bands playing at 21st Street Co-op,” Tolbert says.

Created by 21st Street Co-op event coordinator Tessa Hunt and local artist Waldo Wittenmyer, WXWC has become a UT staple since its inception in 2010, featuring a diverse collection of local musicians. From indie rock ensemble SPEAK, who performed at last year’s Fun Fun Fun Fest, to up-and-coming blues-rock trio Space Crazies, WXWC will have plenty of bands to satisfy everyone in attendance.

“This is our first time playing WXWC,” said Space Crazies bassist Jack Pearl. “I saw pictures from last year, and it looks pretty magical,” he said. A trio that combines the psychedelic-funk of Jimi Hendrix with the gritty, blues-rock of Jack White, Space Crazies have become known for their powerful and energetic performances.

Pearl is excited to be on the festival’s roster and looks forward to seeing some of the other bands performing.

“Pretty much every band we are playing with at [co-op] House of Guys is awesome. I am looking forward to watching Kinky Machine, Shakey Graves, The Sweet Nuthin and Berkshire Hounds.”

WXWC has resulted in many memorable experiences for attendees: Austin resident William Bass, who has gone to each WXWC consecutively, reminisces about one of his favorite festival moments.

“It happened at House of Commons,” Bass said. “I do not remember the band, but their guitarist managed to finish his set even though he took an elbow to the face from a mosher and was bleeding profusely.”

WXWC is an appetizer to the Austin’s full-course musical entree, SXSW, happening March 9-18. But rather than putting the focus on national and touring bands, WXWC maintains simplicity, keeping everything local and making something out of the city’s always-growing talent and creativity.

Printed on Friday, February 24, 2012 as: Local bands perform, expose new Austinites to music scene